Every child seems to have a smartphone nowadays, and it can be difficult to shield them from the darker corners of the internet.
Then again, phones can be a major part of a child’s learning and development, so check our guide if you want to ensure that your child stays safe while they’re using your Android device.
We’ve listed some of the best apps and methods we’ve found to keep your child safe.
Safe Browser Parental Control
As we all know, the web can sometimes be a dangerous place. This app is a ‘cloud based web content filtering browser’, and there are lots of topics you can block so your child can browse the web safely.
However, you’ll only be able to use the app for 30 days before they want payment for their services, but at least this should be more than enough time to see if the app will be useful for you and your kids.
JOA Rating: 3 out of 5
Kids Zone Parental Controls
This app will allow you to create a profile for your kid/s, and add relevant apps that only you can approve.
Here’s a video that shows how easy it is to set up on your device;
You can even set time limits, and they won’t be able to reboot the device to access anything more adult-orientated.
It’s a decent option, and it only takes a few steps to set up on most devices. The reviews are decent, although it hasn’t been updated in a while.
JOA Rating: 4 out of 5
If you want to keep your kids away from sensitive apps on your device, AppLock will do the job for you. It’s not made with children in mind, but it’s still a great way to lock off sections of your device if you’re passing it over to an infant.
With over 100m downloads on the Play Store, it’s one of the most popular apps available, and it’ll never let you down. There are three types of account you can choose from;
- Premium – Paid, premium features, no adverts
- Ads – Free, premium features, adverts
- Basic – Free, no premium features, no adverts
If you want your child to be able to open specific apps and games, AppLock is an easy way to keep your files secure.
JOA Rating: 5 out of 5
Funamo Parental Control
Funamo is a well-known parental control app, with a number of features that we’ll show below;
- Patent-pending web filtering technology automatically blocks pornographic web sites.
- Allow additional control by specifying web site blacklist, whitelist and keyword filtering.
- Support whitelist-only mode which limits the web access to a pre-defined list of web sites
- Log the history of all calls, SMS/MMS messages, web site visits and applications.
- Track the location history of your kid’s device in real time.
- Synchronize contacts information from the device to the server.
- Block protected apps; set time limits and daily time allowance for selected apps.
- Application quarantine feature automatically blocks newly downloaded apps.
- The device control feature blocks all apps and silences the device for school or bed time.
- Change device settings online and synchronize the changes to the device in real time.
- No more emails! All device settings and history data are available online 24/7.
- Work with all major web browsers, and optimized for mobile and PC browsers.
However, a user has contacted us to tell us that Funamo was useless, because they could open Google or YouTube from within the browser, and nothing was blocked. It worked perfectly for another user that contacted us, so it’s up to you to see for yourself.
The app comes with a free two-day trial, so you can always try before you buy.
JOA Rating: 5 out of 5
Google Play App Filtering & Blocking In-App Purchases
It’s every parent’s nightmare. Checking your bank account to see that your child has gone crazy with IAP’s. Luckily, you can set up password protection to stop this from happening.
- Open the Play Store, and tap the Menu
- Tap Settings, and tap Require authentication for purchases.
- Select an option from the list, and enter your Google password.
As well as restricting IAP’s, you can simply activate Parental Controls on the Play Store.
- Open the Play Store app on your device.
- Access the menu by tapping the three bars in the top left corner of the device.
- Go down to Settings, and tap it.
- Scroll down to User controls, and tap Parental Controls to open a new menu.
- Hit the toggle, and you’ll be prompted to make a PIN for the parental controls.
- You’ll have to confirm the code again.
- Once this is done, you’ll have full control over what can be downloaded from the Play Store while Parental Controls are active.
As you can see, the store has a number of decent ways to stop kids from downloading anything expensive or dodgy.
Care4teen Parental Control (Free)
Care4teen gives you remote control to what your children are doing on the web. With GPS monitoring, you can also track their location and control what apps or games they play!
More importantly, you can remotely see online reports of what your kids are doing at the care4teen.com website:
- Remotes reports on phone calls made
- Remote reports on texts sent and received
- Remote reports on the websites visited
- Remote reports on your kid’s location
- Remote reports on applications and games launched
Here are some of the features that you get with this amazing android parental control app.
- Individual application blocking
- Safe web browser
With an average rating around 4.7, Care4Teen is a great way to monitor your kids from wherever you are.
JOA Rating 4 out of 5
It’s understandable if you want to learn more about keeping your children safe and happy while they’re on your device, so check the list below if you want a few articles that can help your child safe and happy.
Hopefully, you’ll now be able to keep your Android device secure while it’s in the hands of children.
If we’ve missed an easy way to make an Android device childproof, or you have questions about one of the methods on this list, let us know in the comments below, or you can contact us via Facebook or Twitter.