The Galaxy Note 2 is one of the most popular phablets from Samsung and even though it’s a bit old, it is still an excellent phablet for playing HD games, browsing the web and watching videos. If you purchased your Galaxy Note 2 a while back, then you might be tired of using the same old interface.
If you’re looking for something new, then you should consider installing a custom ROM on your Galaxy Note 2. Custom ROMs can really liven up your experience if you’re bored with your phone’s interface.
Not only will you be able to enjoy a fresh interface, but you’ll also get some cool new features and several performance tweaks.
There are various ROMs available for the Note 2 as it is a popular device and I’ve created a list of the ten best ROMs that you can download right now. The list below represents my personal opinion and some users might prefer other ROMs.
However, if you’re new to installing ROMs, then this custom ROMs for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 list will help you narrow down your search.
Why Should You Install A Custom ROM On Samsung Galaxy Note 2?
Installing ROMs can be complicated, and it is a risky process. However, it is worth the hassle due to these factors:
- Better battery life. Even though the Note 2 has a large battery, installing a custom ROM can help you get more battery juice from your device.
- Greater speed and responsiveness. Custom ROMs come with performance optimizations in order to make the phone snappier.
- New interface. Even though some custom ROMs don’t bring in a completely new interface, you’ll still get a fresh feeling when using your Note 2.
- Loads of features. One of the best things about custom ROMs is that they bring in lots of new apps and features, especially features from other Android phones.
Before installing any custom ROM, you’ll need a rooted Galaxy Note 2 and if you don’t know about rooting, then you can check out our detailed guide on rooting.
Rooting and installing custom ROMs will void your warranty. Before proceeding with the installation process, make sure that you follow these tips.
- Charge your Galaxy Note 2 at least 70%.
- Create a full backup of your Note 2. In order to create a backup, you can use your Note 2’s backup feature or an app from the Google Play Store. You can also read our list on the ten best backup apps for Android.
- Make sure you follow the developer specific instructions properly. You can view the instructions from the XDA thread of the ROM that you want to install.
1. Android Revolution HD ROM
One of the most popular custom ROMs across various Android smartphones is the Android Revolution HD ROM. The ROM maintains a look close to stock and focuses on stability, speed and providing great support.
If you don’t want to lose the stock interface, but also want stability and performance optimizations, then Android Revolution HD is the perfect ROM. It is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat and features the full Samsung TouchWiz interface.
It brings RAM optimizations, OpenVPN support and Adobe Flash Player support.
- Speed optimizations
- Great battery life
- Virtual memory management improved
- Bloatware removed
2. Omega ROM
Omega is another cool custom ROM that is based on Android version 4.4.2 KitKat. Omega is one of the most popular ROM series available for various Android smartphones and it brings Omegadroid walk boot animation, Omegadroid KitKat wallpapers, CPU adjuster and Recycle bin.
The ROM features an aroma installer and you can choose whether you want to install everything or remove bloatware.
- Call recording
- Four-way reboot menu
- TouchWiz launcher with scrolling wallpaper
3. Phantom ROM
Phantom ROM aims at improving performance, speed and battery life. It is a mix between Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy S5. Therefore, if you want some features from all three devices, then Phantom ROM is the perfect option.
Based on Android firmware 4.4.2, it brings RAM tweaks, performance tweaks and improved JPEG quality.
- Galaxy S5 interface and toggles
- Various Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3 apps
- Increased touch responsiveness
- Battery tweaks
4. DN4 (Ditto Note 4) ROM
The DN4 ROM is another awesome ROM for the Galaxy Note 2 and as the name suggests, it brings several features from the Galaxy Note 4 including music player, video player and browser.
Even though the ROM is stable, there are some minor bugs including no sound in the radio app, Bluetooth audio issue and constant force close with the Abstract lock screen effect.
- Note 4 power saving and ultra power saving modes
- Note 4 air command
- S-Voice from Note 4 with popup features
5. Diamond ROM
Diamond ROM brings several features from the Galaxy Note 4 including launcher, story album and task manager.
The ROM also brings some things from the Galaxy S5 including interface, toggles, power and ultra power saving modes, video player, radio, photo editor, voice recorder and calculator.
- Battery and performance tweaks
- Four way reboot
- One hand operation for all screens
6. LiquidSmooth ROM
LiquidSmooth is a popular ROM that is based on the Android Open Source Project and aims at giving users stability, smoothness and speed. If you’re looking to install a lightweight custom ROM, but also want some new features, then LiquidSmooth is the best option.
The ROM comes with Active Display, T-Mobile theme engine, RAM bar and Privacy Guard.
- Lock screen notifications
- Custom animation controls
7. SlimWiz Colors ROM
SlimWiz brings features from the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy S5 and as the name suggests, the ROM is quite lightweight. It features the Galaxy S5 launcher, settings and boot animation.
- Air command from Note 3
- Galaxy S5 messaging app with popup notifications
- Galaxy S5 phone app with popup notification
8. crDroid ROM
crDroid is a popular custom ROM that is based on the CyanogenMod firmware. The ROM brings several new features including Heads Up, Halo, Hover, Peek, RAM bar, screenshot quick trash, notification reminder, smart pull down and wakelock blocker.
- Screen recorder
- Flip to reject/mute calls
- Lock screen notifications
9. PhoeniX ROM
PhoeniX ROM provides stability, speed and buttery smoothness on the Galaxy Note 2. The ROM features a call recorder, power control, S5 customized settings and S5 download booster.
- Extended reboot menu
- Note 3 launcher
- PhoeniX OTA Center
FluffyROM is based on Android version 4.4.2 and it brings several new features including Bravia engine, Ultravo sound mod, four-way reboot, better voice quality in calls, improved image quality and smoother video streaming.
Aside from that, the ROM also brings several features from the Galaxy S5 including calculator, voice recorder and radio.
- Android L boot animation, sounds and fonts
- Performance tweaks
- Improved web browsing and download speeds
The Galaxy Note 2 is one of the most popular Android phablets available and even though it already is an incredible device, you can take your experience to the next level by installing a custom ROM.
Make sure that you follow the tips in this post and the developer specific instructions on the XDA thread for the ROM that you want to install.
Feel free to shoot any questions on the best custom ROMs for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 in the comments section below and let us know about your favorite custom ROM for the Galaxy Note 2.