One of the joys of modern technology is the ability to make video calls from a mobile handset or tablet. It’s a futuristic feature that seemed unthinkable a few decades ago, so it’s a shame that there can sometimes be issues with cross platform support across different devices.
Thankfully, there are numerous apps that can be used a bridge to make video calls between different devices. If you want to find out how to make free video calls between Android and IOS, here’s a list with six options to choose from.
In short, there is no way you can use FaceTime to video call an Android device.
Apple’s architecture is locked, which means FaceTime can only be used for video calls between Apple devices. Thankfully, there are a number of competitors on the market offering cross-platform support for other devices, with most offering high-quality video calls for little to no cost.
Method 1: Skype (Free with Paid Features)
If you’re looking for a no-nonsense app that will handle your needs, Skype has a few different payment models. If you want completely free video calls, try one of the other apps on this list.
Skype was named as one of the sources that gave the NSA access to encrypted information to enable Prism in 2013, but it’s unrealistic to expect better privacy from any of the others on this list, so don’t let that hold you back.
Once you’ve downloaded the app, you can chat with other users by:
- Signing in to the Skype app on your device.
- Navigate to the People
- Tap on the contact you would like to call.
- Tap the Phone icon located at the bottom of the screen.
- From the call itself, you can turn the camera, microphone and speakers on and off by using the icons at the bottom.
Here’s a video from Skype that takes you through the steps:
Skype may not be as flashy as many of the others on this list, but it’s just as effective.
For more info, check out our comparison of Skype and Google Voice Chat.
Method 2: Facebook Messenger (Free)
Facebook rolled out video calling earlier this year, with the service available in most countries. It’s accessible through the Facebook Messenger app, and it’s completely free of charge. This video calling app from Facebook supports phone calls from both platforms, and it has a number of added features.
Of course, you and the person you want to speak to need a Facebook account to use the service, but doesn’t everybody have one? There are roughly 1.49 billion active users per month, so there’s a good chance your contacts have an account.
- Download Facebook Messenger and make an account if you need to.
- Login to Messenger.
- Tap on the contact you want to call.
- You can access the video call feature by tapping the camera located in the top right corner of the app.
- This will allow you to make the call.
However, some users have reported that the video call feature has been removed from their device after a recent update, so if your phone has been affected try one of the other apps on this list.
Method 3: Oovoo (Free with Paid Features)
Oovoo offers free video calls, voice calls, and texts. If you want full freedom, Oovoo supports nearly every platform;
- Amazon Fire Phone
- 300+ Android Handsets and Tablets
- iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Mac
- Windows Phone and PC
If (somehow) your device isn’t supported, check one of the other methods in the list.
If you want something a little different, Oovoo has a number of integrated social features that set it apart from the rest of the apps on this list. If you’re incredibly popular, it supports 12-way group chats, and it also allows you to record video calls on PC.
To make a video call on Oovoo:
- Download the app from the Play Store
- Make an account with either Facebook, Google or your email address.
- Go to your Friends List and choose who you would like to speak to.
- Tap the camera icon near their profile photo to start the video call.
It’s not the best-known app on this list, but it’s definitely worth a try if you want to video chat with a large variety of devices.
Here’s a video showing Oovoo in action:
Method 4: Tango (Paid Features)
Tango is another video calling app that is big on social integration, with a variety of games on offer for both IOS and Android. On the homepage, it boasts the ability to help you meet new people, so if you want to find eleven friends for Oovoo, this could be the place to look.
To start using Tango:
- Download the app from the Play Store and install to your device.
- Set up Tango by confirming your name, number, and email address.
- Tango will export your address book. You can use the tab at the top of the screen to switch between Tango contacts and your normal contacts.
- To make a video call, find the person you would like to call and tap their name.
- Start the call, and press the camera icon to begin video chat.
If the social aspects have you interested, it’s a worthy contender to the throne, while the games are a nice added bonus if you’re looking for extras.
Don’t forget to check out our review of Tango here.
Method 5: Google Hangouts (Free)
Google Hangouts isn’t the most populated social platform, but it does allow you to make (mostly) free calls to phones within the US and Canada. International call rates for Google Hangouts are listed here.
Hangouts is highly rated by users, and it’s really simple to use. You can download the app from the Play Store, and it integrates with your Google account.(If you don’t have an account, they’re incredibly simple to make.)
Here’s how to make video calls on your device:
- Download the Hangouts app and sign in using your Google Account.
- Tap on the conversation or the person you would like to voice call, or tap the + icon to start a New Hangout.
- Tap the video icon located in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- You will now be entering your video call and you should see yourself in the front camera as you dial.
As you can see, it’s extremely easy to use Hangouts, especially for Android users.
If you’re interested in more information, here’s our review of the Google Hangouts app.
Method 6: Viber (Paid Features)
Last, but by no means least, is Viber. There are roughly 606m users worldwide, and the app is localized in numerous languages if English isn’t your preference. It has (mostly) great reviews on the app store, and it’s free to call other devices that have Viber installed.
(The paid features are for making calls to non-Viber devices.)
- Download and install Viber for your device.
- Verify your number to make your account.
- It will then sync your contacts.
- Type in the name of the contact you want to call in the top search bar.
- Once you find the name, tap it.
- Tap Free Call.
- After the call has been connected, press the button labelled Video Call that appears on the screen.
- The other person will have to activate their video call function for it to work.
Viber is a great alternative to the others on this list, and it’s completely free with no adverts. What more could you ask for?
For more info, read our review of Viber.
One of the most annoying issues with different technological hardware is a lack of support across platforms. Most Xbox and PlayStation users love to pit their wits online and Android and Apple users are no different. Luckily, apps like Google Hangouts and Tango have you covered for video calls.
For deaf users, and others that need a video calling feature that works for everyone, it’s a definite must.
And to make your video calling experience even better, check out our list of recommended audio and video add-ons.
Were you able to make your video calls, or do you have a different app to tell us about? Let us know in the comments below, or you can also send us a message, (or a follow) on both Facebook and Twitter.
If we managed to help out or you have any problems, let us know in the comments below.