Today, Android TV boxes are getting more popular.
Ever wondered why?
It has changed the entertainment industry. Imagine a world of movies and music at your hands, where you can choose the content you want to watch, play, and listen to.
And, it’s not a secret that…
These Android TV boxes have opened a multitude of possibilities. You can surf the internet, read the news, shop, browse social media accounts, send emails, and other countless possibilities.
Now, when we look for the perfect Android TV box, there are a lot of different options to choose from. Thus, we have to know which Android TV box to purchase. It does not hurt to follow the tips on the list.
Let’s get started!
1. Choose the Right Processor
The RAM and processing power is an important feature. We all want a smooth going Android TV box, it would be a hassle if it lags when you are using it.
Choose an Android TV box that has at least 1.5 GHz quad-core CPU or higher. Android TV box with an octa-core processor is the best!
The Joy of Android Recommends:
DynamIQ technology: a more advanced version of big.LITTLE processor. It has an octa-core configuration because of its dual ARM CPU core.
Tegra X1 processor: this processor is mostly used with gaming devices. Although it does not have a configuration like ARM big.LITTLE, it is still capable of running a 4K content.
2. Check the Storage Option
The memory storage of an Android TV box makes the operating system running. Thus, the operating system and memory storage should go together. Most of the Android TV boxes have only internal storage of 8GB, and the operating system takes up a big portion of it.
Choose an Android TV box that has at least 4 GB of RAM and storage of at least 32 GB. Moreover, be sure to purchase a TV box that supports the external storage of at least a 64 GB microSD card.
3. Look for Available USB ports
An Android TV box should have at least 2 USB ports, for the Bluetooth receiver and peripherals. Moreover, choose a TV box that supports USB 3.0 because it has an effective speed than the USB 2.0. A USB 3.0 is essential for those who use external hard drives. But, if you only use the ordinary peripherals, a USB 2.0 would do just fine.
4. Check for the Video and Display
There are a few things you have to consider for video and display options.
- HDMI: An HDMI 2.0 is a requirement for 4K streaming.
- Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching: It automatically adjusts the refresh rate between the source and TV providing the best possible display.
- 265 Hardware Decoding: It is also called high-efficiency video encoding (HEVC) is the standard to compress videos and make it easier to transmit through a network. H.265 efficiently compress pictures or videos that can enable support up to 8K resolution.
Choose an Android TV box that can support streaming 4K videos and HD contents, especially if you are a fan of Netflix and YouTube.
5. Determine the Operating System Version
You need to choose an Android TV box that runs with an operating system higher than Android 5.0 (Lollipop). Disregard those older versions because those TV boxes can’t be updated. The Joy of Android recommends you to buy an Android TV box that is supported by Android 6.0 or higher.
6. Check the Options for Network Connectivity
It is important to determine what network connectivity is available for your Android TV box.
- Wi-Fi: You should have at least 802.11ac to have smooth video playback. We all hate to experience our movies buffering. Also, choose a dual-band router and network adapter to provide a faster signal to compensate with the slow signal.
- Gigabit Ethernet: You do not need to worry about the signal or interface, this provides a consistent connection.
7. Determine Bluetooth Support
There is an Android TV box that does not support Bluetooth connectivity. This feature is important to transfer files from your phone to the TV box or connect peripherals that are supported by Bluetooth. Thus, it is important to determine whether it supports Bluetooth.
8. Check for Google Play Support
Choose an Android TV box that supports Google Play to lessen the hassle and effort of installing GAPPs. The setup is the same as with an Android smartphone, you just only need extra steps to improve the use of the TV box.
9. Look for Unnecessary Features
It is best to have additional features, however, there are features that are unnecessary and only makes the product expensive.
We recommend avoiding the following unnecessary feature when you are about to choose an Android TV box:
- 10-bit color: We thought that more color variation makes the display better, but in reality, the player cannot actually support more than 1024 different color variation. It would be useless and expensive if your TV does not support deep color.
- Dual-Boot: Avoid choosing an Android TV box that has a dual-booting feature, it is unnecessary to have two operating systems in one device.
10. Read the Product Reviews
Prior to purchasing an Android TV box, you have to read reviews of the product. Take time to do some research about that particular product to know what buyers have experienced with the product. Product reviews are a great help in making an informed decision in choosing the right Android TV box.
Frequently Asked Questions About Android TV Box
Buy Android TV Box: Superbox S1 Pro
There is more to love in this Android TV box. You can get the Superbox S1 Pro at Amazon!
Find the Right Android TV Box Specs
You have to understand the tips on how to choose an Android TV box to know what you will have and what you are about to give up. When you neglect the tips mentioned above, you might be giving up the following features:
- Performance component
- Firmware updates
- Over-the-Air upgrades
- Forum support
- After-sales support
These following features are important to enjoy a high-performance Android TV box as it upgrades and updates the new features. Moreover, contact support is important for assistance whenever you have questions about the device.
There are times when frugality is a must, but I don’t think it is recommended when you are buying an Android TV box. How about you, are you ready to skimp and miss out the best features of a TV box? Which Android TV box should you purchase?
Do you think we missed out on some tips on how to choose an Android TV Box? Leave us a comment or suggestion below.