The Samsung Galaxy S5 is a little older phone but this is exactly why you should consider it for a secondary Android device. Not a lot of people are willing to spend top prices for smartphones that are going to be outdated in 6 months or so, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 is a prime candidate for those budget conscious people. However, in these times, we either see reviews that are highly bloated with praise or criticizing small problems.
The authentic Samsung Galaxy S5 User Reviews will help you make a conscious decision about this device. We have handpicked these reviews from the internet and they represent actual opinions of Samsung Galaxy S5 users. We will also be linking sources of the reviews so that you can gauge them yourself as well.
Every device has its pros and cons, its highs and lows and this one is no different. The key here is to find the advantages that are beneficial to you and the disadvantages that won’t bother you if you own said device. This is exactly why we have split the authentic Samsung Galaxy S5 reviews into three different categories. So without further chatter, let’s dive into the positives, middling and negative authentic Samsung Galaxy S5 user reviews.
- “I love my s5. My previous phones were an iPhone 4, then a nexus 4. The GS5 has a superior battery, and external memory! I love that, cause the battery and lack of external storage was one of the things I hated about the nexus 4(although I loved the phone).”– User: Leftfordread Source
Compared to newer smartphones, the Samsung Galaxy S5 might not be able to outperform but it is still one the best phones with exceptional battery. With the Lollipop update, the battery has become even better. As we are not going to recommend it as your main device, you will be able to get a lot of juice out of this bad boy.
- “The camera on this phone never ceases to amaze me” – User: clank5050 Source
Well, this much is true, I was also blown away by how amazing the camera is on the Samsung Galaxy S5. I will go as far as to say that this smartphone can easily take on most modern phones in suitable lighting conditions. However, the low light performance in darker scenes leaves something to be desired.
The 16 MP back camera is still a great one to have by your side. 16 megapixels combined with f/2.2, 31mm and HDR can result in some beautiful shots.
- “Using the Instrom Compression machine, Samsung “plastic” devices proved stronger in the bend test than the leading aluminum backed smartphones. They also emit less microwave radiation than the same aforementioned competitors. By the way, the most expensive ultimate toys like Lamborghinis are also plastic.” – User: Higgsbonsun1 Source
Well I’m not going to agree with a lot of points in this review, especially the Lamborghini one but this guy has a point. Generally, plastic backs have proven themselves. Even though they lack the “Premium-ness” of a metallic body, they more than make up for that with their sturdiness as well as removability.
Simply pop open the back of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and you will have unrestricted access to a microSD card slot as well as a removable battery. Both of these features are missing for the more premium feeling Samsung Galaxy S6.
- “Fantastic.!! Very easy to use and has an excellent camera. I’ve never used before the camera of my phones because photos were of very poor quality, it’s different now. The release device with fingerprint is great and S. Health that measures easily heart pulses and the daily physical activity is very good option to stay healthy.” – User: Eduardo Young Source
Now, we all know that the Samsung Galaxy S5 has a great main camera. But this review also highlights some other overshadowed features of the smartphone. For one the fingerprint scanner is great and secondly, the S-Health features are also implemented well. This phone can also work great with some of the best pedometer apps for Android too.
- “Big, bold screen and terrific android platform. A significant step up from an iPhone 5! Very happy with the phone in every aspect. The camera is better than my very good digital SLR, the number of apps is amazing, and the android software is smooth and seamless!” – User EW Source
Here we see an iPhone fan coming to our side of the road and enjoying every minute of it. I admit, I also purchased the second iPhone but once I jumped ship, it has always been about Android. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is most definitely a bigger and better phone than the 5th iteration of Apple’s device.
Middle of the Road
- “For me this is a little large. Others will probably laugh when they read this but, I used to have a Galaxy S2, and I felt like the size of that was just right. I feel like the decision that the cellular makers have made that the newer the device the bigger the screen is the wrong choice. My S2 fit comfortably in my shirt pocket, the S5 sticks out the top.” – User: TomInlll Source
Some people prefer small-sized smartphones and that is OK. This is all about personal preference and this person didn’t like the large size of the smartphone. Now that I think of it, he/she will not be pleased with the latest flagships coming out as well.
- “A very good phone and camera. It has enough storage space for high quality apps, music, and pictures if you regularly upload to the cloud. I wish the speakers were better quality but for the price and specs this is an excellent buy. Still a relevant phone in December 2015” – User: Anonymous Source
Well, this is the same problem we have seen in other Samsung smartphones over the years. Having personally checked the latest Galaxy S7 Edge myself, I will say that this one is still far better than the latest flagship’s tinny sound.
- “For the money you pay for it, you should get a metal case. My opinion. I am not a phone geek and i have one that I use strictly for a phone.” – User: gull1 Source
This would have been relevant when the phone first launched back in 2014 but now with the heavily discounted price, I think it is a good shroud.
- “When is Samsung going to admit that this is a problem?” – User GreenCristina Source
This here is a legitimate problem with the front facing camera featured on the Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone. While the problem is not that huge, it can be troublesome for some avid selfies fans.
The front facing camera can sometimes take distorted pictures, especially if your face is at an angle. This understandably, is a big problem that was never fixed. So before purchasing the phone, make sure you take a look at the best selfies phones for Android.
- “Galaxy S5 charging port flap fall off? You can replace it yourself in 2 minutes for less than 5 bucks.” – Youtuber: JerryRigEverything
While this may seem like a solution and it is, the problem here is that the flap on the charging port is insanely strong. You will need to pry it open like a savage for the first few weeks. Naturally, it is prone to fall out completely.
- “First World Problems – I cut my fingernails and now I can’t charge my phone. Sad day.” – User: Calquon Source
Well, like I said, the port flap is unapologetically strong. This review says it all.
- “I recently upgraded from 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 and since then my phone has been really laggy at times, even when I barely have any apps open. It also has trouble playing videos from streamable.com sometimes in both the Reddit browser and Google chrome. Has anyone else experienced a significant increase in lag since updating??
I also wiped my phone in between the software updates so it’s relatively clean.” – User ipodaholicdan Source
A lot of people are having odd problems since their device was updated to Lollipop. This is a widespread issue and Samsung has released a few patches to no avail. So make sure you use the phone before purchase. I highly recommend having a safe return policy.
These were a few authentic Samsung Galaxy S5 user reviews. I really hope that they help you in making a sound decision. Right now, I can only recommend this smartphone as a secondary cheap alternative. The latest Nexus 5X is an amazing mid-range smartphone that will also serve you well, so take a look at that too.
If you have any suggestions or questions about this smartphone, type them out in the comments below.