The HTC One M8 is one of the premium Android smartphones currently available and I’ve been impressed with what HTC has done with their user interface in recent years.
If you’re not impressed with the UI or you think that the HTC One M8 lacks certain features, you should consider installing a custom ROM in order to fill in these gaps.
If you have already rooted your HTC One M8, then you’re good to go. Even if you love your HTC One M8 as it is, you can still improve your phone’s overall performance by installing a custom ROM.
In this post, you’ll find out about the ten best custom ROMs that are currently available for the HTC One M8. There are other ROMs available as well and some users might prefer them over the custom ROMs for HTC One M8 in the list below.
However, if you’re new to installing ROMs, then the list below will make your search a bit easier.
Why Should You Install A Custom ROM On Your HTC One M8?
Since installing a custom ROM is a risky process, you might be wondering whether it is worth going through all the trouble. If you’re not sure whether installing custom ROMs is the smart thing to do, then consider the following reasons.
- You’ll feel something different when using your phone. A lot of custom ROMs bring in a different user interface and if you’re looking for something different, then a custom ROM might just be what you need.
- Superior battery life. Custom ROMs get you more battery juice from your phone and if you like watching movies and playing HD games on your phone, then installing a custom ROM is the smart thing to do.
- New apps and features. Many custom ROMs also bring in lots of new features and apps that you can enjoy on your HTC One M8.
- Enhanced performance. Even though the HTC One M8 is quite fast, you can make it faster and more responsive by installing a custom ROM.
Tips Before Installing A ROM
You’ll need root access on your HTC One M8 before installing any of the ROMs mentioned below. In order to find out more on rooting, feel free to read our guide. Installing custom ROMs is quite risky and it will void your warranty.
Make sure that you install custom ROMs at your own responsibility. Also, follow these instructions:
- Charge your HTC One M8 at least 70%.
- Make sure that you install the ROM that is available for your HTC One M8 variant. If you install a ROM that is for another variant, then you might brick your phone.
- Backup all the files on your phone as everything will be deleted. You can read our list of the ten best backup apps for Android.
- Follow all the instructions from the developer properly. You’ll find the developer specific instructions on the XDA thread of the ROM that you’re installing. Make sure you read all the instructions as you might brick your HTC One M8 if the instructions are not properly followed.
1. Android Revolution HD ROM for the HTC One M8
One of the most popular custom ROMs that is available for various Android devices is the Android Revolution HD ROM. If you’re looking for a ROM that is stable, fast, smooth, maintains a look close to stock and provides great support, then this ROM is probably the right choice.
It is based on the Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware and is basically an improved version of the stock HTC One M8 ROM. The ROM comes with HTC Sense 6.0, RAM optimizations, various tweaks, speed optimizations and OpenVPN support.
- Great battery life
- Bloatware removed
- Improved virtual memory management
Another cool custom HTC One M8 ROM is SinLessROM, and it is a stable ROM that aims at providing great performance while improving battery life at the same time. It brings various new features including system tweaks, build.prop tweaks and sound enhancements.
- Performance tweaks
- RAM optimization tweaks
- Great battery life
3. SkyDragon ROM
SkyDragon is a custom ROM that brings speed, smoothness and an excellent battery life on the HTC One M8. It is based on Android 4.4.4 and features HTC Sense 6.0. It brings SkyDragon boot animation, updated Sense apps, HK sound mod, Android L keyboard and built-in OpenVPN.
- Speed optimizations
- Battery optimizations
- Pie control
4. ViperOneM8 ROM
Developed by Team Venom, the ViperOneM8 ROM is another awesome custom ROM available for the HTC One M8. The ROM is based on Android version 4.4.4 and is Android RunTime compatible.
- Venom Pie
- Venom tweaks
- Venom theming
5. InsertCoin ROM
The InsertCoin ROM features HTC Sense 6.0 and is compatible with Android RunTime. The ROM aims at providing a stable, smooth and problem free experience on the HTC One M8.
The ROM brings ramdisk improvements, InsertCoin Market, InsertCoin Kontrol, InsertCoin Themes, InsertCoin Battery packs, InsertCoin Zip flasher, InsertCoin PerApp Color and InsertCoin over the air updates.
- Improved battery life
- Advanced power menu
- Memory improvements
6. EHNDROIX V ROM
Based on the CyanogenMod 11 firmware, EHNDROIX V ROM is one of the most popular custom ROMs available for several Android devices. The ROM has been highly customized, and even the tiniest details have been modified.
The ROM brings a really smooth interface and at the same time provides a great battery life. It also brings in lots of new features including Heads Up, Nova launcher, theme engine, DashClock lock screen notifications, customizable quick settings panel and Ehndroix wallpapers.
- Ehndroix messaging app
- New ringtones, alarm tones and notification sounds
- Performance and battery tweaks
7. MaximusHD ROM
The MaximusHD ROM is based on Android 4.4.4 and comes with HTC Sense 6.0. The ROM is stable and aims at improving speed and providing a great battery life. It brings over-the-air updates as well.
8. RENOVATE ROM
Based on Android 4.4.3, RENOVATE ROM also comes with HTC Sense 6.0 and brings several new features including advanced power menu, extended home screen menu, AOSP lock screen and CRT animation.
- Init.d support
- Improved performance
- Great battery life
9. crDroid ROM
crDroid ROM is based on the CyanogenMod firmware and brings several cool features on the HTC One M8 such as dynamic system bars, Heads Up SlimKat version, Hover and screenshot quick trash.
- RAM bar
- Gesture lock screen
- Flip to mute/reject phone calls
10. CyanHacker ROM
CyanHacker is a popular custom ROM that is based on the LiquidSmooth firmware. The ROM focuses on providing stability, speed and lots of new features.
It brings lock screen customizations, OmniSwitch, Slim recents, CyanHacker apps, DPI changer, Halo, Driving mode, Active Display, Heads Up and lock screen notifications.
- Status bar customizations
- Theme engine
- Battery saver mode
If you’ve never installed a custom ROM on any of your Android devices, then I would recommend that you install a ROM on your HTC One M8 as there are several cool options available.
Whether you want to improve the performance and battery life on your HTC One M8 or you want new features, you can install the custom ROM that best fits your preferences from the list above.
Whichever ROM you choose to install, make sure that you follow all the instructions from the XDA thread properly and feel free to shoot us any questions below. Also, let us know about your favorite custom ROMs for HTC One M8.