The HTC One Max is one of the best Android smartphones right now, especially when it comes to battery life. While the phone does feature impressive hardware and software, you can make your HTC One Max more awesome after flashing a custom ROM on it.
After using a phone for a long time, users get tired of the same old interface and if you’re looking for something unique on your HTC One Max or you want to get back that feeling of using your phone for the very first time, then you should definitely consider custom ROMs.
There are many great custom ROMs for HTC One Max, and you’ll find the ten best ROMs in the list below. This list represents my own view so there might be certain users who would prefer other ROMs that are not in this list.
Why Should You Flash A Custom ROM On Your HTC One Max?
As the HTC One Max is already a great smartphone, you might be wondering whether you should go through all the trouble just to install a custom ROM. Here are the reasons why installing a custom ROM is worth all the trouble.
- Improve battery usage. As the HTC One Max has an excellent battery life, you might be thinking that there’s no way to increase it further. Many Custom ROMs feature battery optimizations and your phone’s battery life should improve even more.
- Improve your HTC One Max’s performance. ROMs can also make smartphones faster with performance and speed tweaks and your phone should feel snappier.
- Get tons of new features. Custom firmwares also come with various new apps and features and you can enjoy them on your HTC One Max.
- Finally, you’ll get a different design and interface. While certain ROMs bring a look similar to stock firmware, other custom ROMs bring a totally new interface in order to give users a fresh experience.
Tips Before Installing A Custom ROM On Your HTC One Max
Installing custom ROMs is a risky procedure and if not done properly, it can brick your HTC One Max. Before installing any custom ROM, you’ll need to root your phone.
This will void your manufacturer’s warranty so you should only do this at your own responsibility. Follow these tips before installing any custom ROM on your HTC One Max.
- As your HTC One Max’s data will be deleted, you should create a complete backup of your phone. You can also view our list of the best Android backup apps.
- Make sure that your HTC One Max is charged at least 70%.
- Follow the instructions from the ROM’s developer properly. You can view the instructions on the ROM’s XDA thread. If the instructions are not properly followed, you might end up bricking your HTC One Max.
- Make sure that you flash the ROM that is available for your HTC One Max variant. Flashing a ROM that is not for your variant can brick your phone.
1. Adrenaline ROM
Based on Android version 4.4.2 and featuring Sense 6.0, Adrenaline is a great custom ROM available for the HTC One Max that is heavily debloated.
It brings lots of cool features such as faster retries on failed SMS, custom wallpaper, custom bookmarks, brightness slider, custom status bar icons, screenshot delay remover and advanced power menu.
- Android L Heads Up
- Video screen recorder
- Dark theme
2. Candy5 ROM
Another great ROM available for the HTC One Max is the Candy5 ROM and it is based on the CyanogenMod firmware. The ROM aims to provide users with new features and customizability.
- Visual improvements
- Candy interface
- 360 degrees display rotation
3. ViperMax ROM
Developed by Team Venom, ViperMax is an awesome custom ROM that is based on Android version 4.3 and brings an aroma installer. It features Venom tweaks, Venom pie and hub, and the Venom tool for managing files.
- Venom CPU manager
- Venom package installation tool
- Venom theming
- Venom button manager
4. Demon Dust ROM
If you’re looking for a ROM that combines some features from Android KitKat and Android Lollipop, then Demon Dust ROM is the best option.
- Android L keyboard
- Four different themes
5. NuSenseSIX ROM
NuSenseSIX ROM brings 5×6 app drawer option, extreme power saver mode and four HTC color default themes.
- Font changer
- HTC backup
6. PAC-man ROM
One of the most well know custom ROMs available for many Android smartphones is the PAC-man ROM and this is the perfect option if you’re looking to get the best features from some of the best custom firmwares in a single ROM.
PAC-man ROM brings AOKP weather, Appbar, advanced keyboard options, floating window, Gesture anywhere, CyanogenMod themes, Halo, lock screen notifications, see through lock screen, PAC performance, PAC console, Privacy guard, network speed indicator and OmniSwitch.
- Slim Pie
- Slim Heads Up
- Notification drawer customizations
7. crDroid ROM
crDroid is another cool custom ROM available for the HTC One Max and it is based on CyanogenMod.
crDroid brings various cool features including Dynamic system bars, SlimKat Heads Up, Halo, Peek, screenshot quick trash, Hover, RAM bar, screen recorder, wakelock blocker and option for lock screen rotation.
- Gestures anywhere
- Gesture lock screen
- Notification reminder
- Smart pull down
8. AOSB ROM
Based on CyanogenMod, the Android Open Source BAM or AOSB brings different features from some of the best Android custom ROMs.
It features ListView animation, OTA support, scrolling animation, keyboard animation, OmniSwitch, flip to reject/mute phone calls, Driving mode, gesture lock screen, custom carrier label, screen video recording, advanced battery bar, Halo and App sidebar.
- Privacy guard
- Quiet hours
- Heads Up
9. LiquidSmooth ROM
One of the lightest custom ROMs that you can find for Android smartphones is the LiquidSmooth ROM and if you’re looking for a lightweight firmware, but also want loads of great features, then this is probably the ideal option.
It is based on the Android Open Source Project and gives users stability, smoothness and speed. The ROM includes lock screen notifications, Halo, Active Display, custom animation controls and Privacy guard.
- Heads Up
- RAM bar
- CyanogenMod theme engine
10. BeanStalk ROM
BeanStalk is another awesome custom ROM that is based on the CyanogenMod firmware and focuses on speed, customizability and stability. It brings various great features like lock screen rotation, BeanStalk wallpapers, custom carrier label and customizable recents RAM bar.
- Customizable navigation bar
- BeanStalk boot animation
- Customizable lock screen text color
- Different lock screen background options
The HTC One Max is one of the best Android smartphones when it comes to battery life, and if you install a custom ROM on it, you’ll be able to use that battery life on much more awesome stuff.
Not only will you get lots of new features and a different interface, but your HTC One Max will also become more responsive. Flashing a custom ROM is the best way for making your phone more productive.
Make sure that you follow all the tips properly and flash the ROM that fits your requirements the most. Feel free to drop us any questions in the comments area below and let us know about your favorite custom ROMs for HTC One Max.