One of my favorite things about the Motorola Razr HD is the Kevlar texture on the back and even though the phone doesn’t have the latest hardware and software features, there is still a lot that you can do with your Razr HD.
One of the ways you can make the Razr HD more awesome is by installing a custom ROM.
If you’re bored with the user interface on your phone or you feel that the Razr HD is outdated, then you should consider installing a custom ROM as you’ll be able to enjoy a new interface and several cool features.
I’ve made a list of the nine best custom ROMs for Motorola Razr HD. As the Razr HD is an old phone, some of these ROMs might have minor bugs and for some, development might have stopped. That being said, you’ll still be able to enjoy all the great features that custom ROMs bring.
Why Should You Install A Custom ROM On Your Motorola Razr HD?
I’m sure you already know that it is a bit risky to install custom ROMs and you might be wondering whether this is worth all the effort. Here are the reasons why you should install a custom ROM on your Motorola Razr HD.
- Great new apps and features. ROMs come with many great apps and features and you’ll be able to enjoy them on your Motorola Razr HD.
- Different design and interface. A lot of ROMs also come with UI changes and if you’re looking for a design and interface change on your Razr HD, then you should definitely install a ROM.
- Make your Razr HD last much longer. Even though the Razr HD can get you good usage in terms of battery life, you’ll be able to enjoy more battery juice on your device after installing a custom ROM.
- Make your Razr HD snappier. If you feel that your Razr HD is not fast enough, then custom ROMs can get you more speed and responsiveness on your phone.
If you’ve been using Android devices for a while, then you probably already know that you need root access before installing a custom ROM.
Rooting and installing custom ROMs will void your manufacturer warranty and if you still want to continue, you should only do so at your own responsibility.
Please follow these tips before you install a ROM on your Razr HD.
- Charge your Razr HD to at least 70%
- After installing a ROM, all your data will be deleted. Therefore, making a full backup of your Razr HD is the smart thing to do. You can read our list of the ten best Android backup apps if you’re looking for third-party apps from the Play Store.
- Make sure that you download the ROM that is available for your Razr HD variant.
- Follow all the instructions from the ROM’s developer. You’ll see all the instructions on the XDA thread of the custom ROM that you want to install. Make sure that you don’t leave out anything because if something goes wrong, your phone might get bricked.
1. Dirty Unicorns ROM
A popular custom ROM that is available for many Android smartphones is the Dirty Unicorns ROM. Dirty Unicorns is based on the well-known OmniROM and aims at customization and stability.
The ROM comes with many cool features including Immersive mode, Appbar, hot reboot option, Halo, customizable lock screen shortcuts, customizable quick settings, Build.prop mods, Active Display, Driving mode and lock screen notifications.
- Gesture anywhere
- ListView animations
2. OSE ROM
Another great custom ROM available for the Motorola Razr HD is the OSE ROM and it comes with various new features including dark UI toggle theme, Pie navigation, Multi-Window, Init.d tweaks, Halo and system app remover.
- Lock screen notifications
- CRT animation control
3. Paranoid Android ROM
Paranoid Android is one of the best custom ROMs available across various Android devices and its features are used on many custom ROMs. Paranoid Android’s features include Immersive mode and Hover.
- CyanogenMod theme engine
- Dynamic system bars
4. Droid Nexesque ROM
Droid Nexesque aims at providing a clean experience as the ROM is debloated and looks similar to the stock Nexus firmware. It brings AOSP lock screen, AOSP browser, Nova launcher and AOSP settings menu.
- Moto X camera
- New ringtones, notification sounds and alarm tones
- Great battery life
5. SlimKat ROM
SlimKat ROM is quite popular on many Android smartphones and as the name suggests, this is one of the most lightweight custom ROMs that you can download for the Razr HD.
SlimROMs are known for providing a slimmed down operating system while still offering several cool features. SlimKat’s features include system wide dark interfaces and keyboard controls.
- New camera features including Trueview and Smart capture
- Custom shortcuts for everything
6. AOSB Project ROM
The AOSB Project ROM is based on the CyanogenMod firmware and brings features from some of the best custom ROMs available for Android devices.
The ROM features OTA support, battery saver mode, Peek, CyanogenMod theme engine, DSP manager, On The Go mode, OmniSwitch, Wakelock blocker, ListView animation, scrolling animation, Omni Audio, custom carrier label, App sidebar, Advanced battery bar and slim CRT animation.
- Slim dark UI
- Screen video recording
7. PAC-man ROM
PAC-man ROM is a well-known custom ROM that brings features from various different custom ROMs. Therefore, this is probably the best option if you’re looking for an All-in-One ROM.
PAC-man ROM brings battery bar, advanced keyboard options, AOKP weather, Gesture anywhere, Halo, floating window, lock screen notifications, network speed indicator, see through lock screen, customizations for navigation bar, OmniSwitch, Slim Pie, Slim recents and Ram bar.
- Notification drawer customizations
- CyanogenMod themes
- PAC console
- PAC Performance
8. Validus ROM
Another great custom ROM for the Razr HD is Validus ROM and it brings CRT screen off effects, battery saver, customizable lock screen, Wakelock blocker, Halo, GZ Pie controls, OmniSwitch, Driving mode and RAM bar.
- Improved scrolling cache
- New notification sounds and ringtones
- System app remover
- Screen shot quick trash
9. Paranoid SaberDroid ROM
The last ROM in this list is Paranoid SaberDroid and it brings several cool features such as custom battery icons, Pocket mode, Privacy mode, expanded notification view, Trebuchet launcher, smart status bar pulldown and ListView animations.
- Recents RAM bar
- Status bar network traffic meter
- Custom carrier label
Custom ROMs are not only good for bringing in a change on Android devices but they also come with several battery and performance tweaks.
If you want to improve the performance on your Motorola Razr HD or you just want a new design and interface, you can install the ROM from the list above that best fits your requirements.
Make sure that you follow the tips mentioned earlier in this post before installing any custom ROMs for Motorola Razr HD. Feel free to shoot us any questions in the comments area below and let us know about your favorite custom ROM for the Razr HD.