I find all Nexus devices awesome as they bring the latest Android firmware along with a vanilla Android interface. While the Nexus 4 isn’t the latest offering from Google, it is still a fantastic Android smartphone and it can still do what most Android smartphones offer today.
If, however, you’ve been using the Nexus 4 for a while, then you might be getting a little bored of the interface. If this is the case, then you don’t need to worry as you can install one of the custom ROMs for Nexus 4 to get back to that exciting feeling on your phone.
As the Nexus 4 is quite popular, there are lots of custom ROMs available. I’ve made a list of what I believe are ten great ROMs available for the Nexus 4 and the list below should help you narrow down your ROM search.
Why Install A Custom ROM On Your Nexus 4?
Installing a custom ROM isn’t easy and the process is quite risky. However, some people believe installing custom ROMs is worth the hassle due to these factors.
- Get more battery juice from your phone. If you’re not impressed with your Nexus 4’s battery life, then chances are you’ll get a better battery life after installing a custom ROM.
- Improve your phone’s speed and performance. Even though the Nexus 4 is quite snappy, installing a custom ROM is likely to make your phone even more responsive.
- Lots of new features. As the Nexus 4 features a vanilla Android interface, there aren’t many unique features and apps available. Custom ROMs fill in this gap as they bring in loads of new apps and features.
- Fresh interface. Custom ROMs also bring a fresh interface and if you’re looking for a different UI on your phone, then you should definitely consider installing a custom ROM.
Installing a custom ROM requires root access and you can learn more about rooting here. Both, rooting and installing custom ROMs, are very risky and you should only attempt them at your own risk.
If you’re not careful, you might end up with a bricked Nexus 4. Make sure that you follow these tips before flashing a custom ROM.
- Create a full backup of your device. You can do this by either using your Nexus 4’s backup option or using an app on the Play Store. Feel free to read our list on the best Android backup apps.
- Make sure that your Nexus 4 is charged at least 70%.
- Follow all the developer instructions. Even if you’re familiar with installing ROMs, some of the ROMs require following specific instructions from the developer. You can find the download links and the instructions from the XDA thread for each ROM.
1. ColorOS ROM
ColorOS ROM works on Android 4.2.2 and it brings various new features. The ROM offers Power manager, themes, expandable notifications panel and custom lock screens.
- Launcher with weather effects
- Mobile data tracker
- Custom gestures
- Improved performance
2. LiquidSmooth ROM
The LiquidSmooth ROM is another fantastic ROM for the Nexus 4 and it is available across several Android devices.
If you’ve been installing custom ROMs on your previous Android smartphones, then you might have come across the LiquidSmooth ROM. LiquidSmooth is based on AOSP or the Android Open Source Project and as the name suggests, it is quite snappy.
If you’re looking for a lightweight custom ROM, but also want some additional features, then LiquidSmooth is the perfect option. It features Quiet hours, Hover, Heads Up, SlimPie, Slim recents, smart pull down, Listview animations and Liquid Dungeon.
- Custom tiles
- Quick unlock
- Privacy guard
- CyanogenMod Theme chooser
3. Nexus 5 Experience ROM
If you’ve thought about switching to the Google Nexus 5, then you might want to try out this ROM. The Nexus 5 Experience ROM brings several features from the Google Nexus 5 in order to give you the latest Nexus experience on your Nexus 4.
The ROM provides a full Nexus 5 experience right from the beginning as it features various stuff from the Nexus 5, including launcher, wallpapers, ringtones, apps and lock screen transparency.
- Privacy guard integrated in settings
- Support for USB fast charge
4. overSTOCK ROM
overSTOCK ROM is another cool ROM offered for the Google Nexus 4 and as the name suggests, it brings something more than stock ROM. If you want the stability of stock ROM, but also want something more, then overSTOCK might be the perfect option.
One of the best things about this ROM is that it features an aroma installer and you can choose what you want to install. You can either choose to install everything or can go for a bloatware free ROM. The ROM offers transparent lock screen, better image quality, support for OTA updates and faster streaming.
- Touch responsiveness increased
- overSTOCK wallpapers app
- Video recording quality improved
5. Dirty Unicorns ROM
The Dirty Unicorns ROM is another ROM that is popular across various Android devices and it focuses on customization and stability. The Dirty Unicorns ROM has cool new features including Immersive mode, various cloud based wallpapers, Halo and and Init.d tweaks.
- Customizable power menu
- Customizable lock screen shortcuts
- Ad blocker
6. XL Z1 ROM
The XL Z1 ROM uses the CyanogenMod 11 firmware and it brings various Sony features. If you’re a big fan of Sony’s Xperia Z1, then this is the best option for you.
The ROM brings various stuff from the Sony Xperia Z1 including fonts, boot animation, ringtones, keyboard, wallpapers, walkman, album, movies, clock, calculator, calendar, notes, sketch and video unlimited.
- Xperia Z1 themes
- Xperia Z1 launcher with transparent status and navigation bars.
7. Spirit ROM
Spirit ROM is also based on the CyanogenMod firmware and brings features from several other ROMs as well including OmniROM, Paranoid Android and SlimROM. Spirit ROM brings custom system animation, CRT animation, List view animation and scrolling modifiers.
- Pie controls
- Active display
- Driving mode
8. crDroid ROM
Based on CyanogenMod, crDroid ROM focuses on improving performance and giving users more reliability than stock ROM. Aside from the CyanogenMod features, it brings SlimKat version of Heads Up, Hover and Listview animations.
- RAM bar
- Screen recorder
- Notification reminder
- Smart pull down
9. EHNDROIX V ROM
EHNDROIX V is another great custom ROM that is available for various Android devices. It is based on CyanogenMod 11 and focuses on giving out a great battery life and increasing smoothness. The ROM has been highly customized and you’ll notice customizations even on the smallest things.
- Android L Heads Up
- EHNDROIX wallpapers
- EHNDROIX messaging app
- Nova launcher
10. CyanHacker ROM
CyanHacker ROM works off the LiquidSmooth ROM and it focuses on stability and speed. It offers new features including Driving mode, Heads Up, lock screen notifications and OmniSwitch.
- Screen recorder
- Viper4Android sound mod
Installing custom ROMs is one of my favorite things on Android and if you haven’t flashed a custom ROM before, then you’re missing out on so much. While the process is risky and can be complicated, I think it’s worth it because custom ROMs can make the phone more awesome.
The ROMs listed above represent my personal opinion and there might be other ROMs available that you might be interested in. However, if it’s your first time installing a ROM, then these ten ROMs will help you narrow down your search. Feel free to ask any questions about custom ROMs for Nexus 4 in the comments area below.