Samsung’s Galaxy Note devices are some of the best phablets that you’ll find right now and if you have been using the first Galaxy Note for some time, then you’ll probably be interested in getting a newer Galaxy Note phablet.
Before going out shopping and spending a lot of money, you should flash a custom ROM on your Galaxy Note 1 if you want a different experience and lots of cool features. Custom ROMs can make your Galaxy Note 1 a lot more awesome.
After looking at different options, I’ve made a list of what I feel are the ten best custom ROMs for Samsung Galaxy Note 1 that you can download right now. This represents my personal opinion and there might be users who prefer other ROMs.
Why Flash A Custom ROM On Your Galaxy Note 1?
Flashing custom ROMs is not easy and there is some risk involved. Therefore, you might be wondering whether flashing a custom ROM is worth all this hassle. Consider these factors in order to make up your mind.
- Speed up your phablet. The Galaxy Note 1 doesn’t have top-notch hardware as it is quite old, however, your device will become really snappy and more responsive after installing a custom ROM.
- Improvement in battery life. A lot of ROMs also come with battery optimizations and your Galaxy Note 1 should last longer on a single charge.
- Many cool features. ROMs also bring unique and cool features and you’ll be able to use them on your Galaxy Note 1.
- Changed design and user interface. Custom ROMs will also change the UI and design on your Galaxy Note 1 so you’ll get that fresh new feeling.
You’ll need root access on your Galaxy Note 1 before installing any custom ROM. This is unsafe and you’ll void your manufacturer’s warranty. Therefore, you should only attempt this at your own risk.
Please follow these tips before flashing any ROM on your device.
- Charge your Galaxy Note 1 to at least 70%.
- As all the data on your device will be deleted, make sure that you create a full backup. Feel free to read our list of the ten best Android backup apps.
- Follow the developer’s instructions properly. You’ll find the instructions from the developer on the ROM’s thread on the XDA forums. Make sure that you read all the instructions thoroughly. If you skip something, you might brick your Galaxy Note 1.
1. Spirit ROM
Spirit ROM is quite popular across several Android smartphones and it is based on the well-known CyanogenMod firmware.
It brings lots of cool features such as On the Go mode, App side bar, Gesture anywhere, customizable quick settings, LCD density changer, Lock screen notifications, blur lock screen, Hover, Driving mode, OmniSwitch, screen recorder, Ram bar, Wakelock blocker and Notification reminder.
- CyanogenMod theme chooser
- Custom CRT animations
- Performance control
- CyanogenMod profiles
2. Dirty Unicorns ROM
Based on the popular OmniROM, Dirty Unicorns is another great custom ROM available for the Galaxy Note 1 and it aims at giving users stability and customization.
Dirty Unicorns brings lots of new features including Appbar, customizable power menu, customizable quick settings, Immersive mode, Halo, Build.prop tweaks, Active Display, Gesture anywhere, OmniSwitch and Init.d tweaks.
- ListView animations
- Driving mode
- Lock screen notifications
- Screenshot quick trash
Another cool custom ROM for the Galaxy Note 1 is C-ROM, and it brings smoothness, speed, stability and loads of cool features such as Animation controls, Active Display and Gesture anywhere.
- On the Go mode
4. AOGP ROM
The Android Open Grand Project or AOGP is an awesome custom ROM that is based on the CyanogenMod firmware. It brings several great features such as SlimKat version of Heads Up, Halo, Hover, Peek, Pie controls from SlimKat, ListView animations and Screenshot quick trash.
- RAM bar
- Screen recorder
- Notification reminder
- Smart pull down
5. SlimSaber ROM
Another cool custom ROM for the Galaxy Note 1 is SlimSaber ROM and it brings various new features. You might come across a couple of minor bugs when using the ROM. For instance, the music player might stop playing audio from the SD card after a while.
- True View and Smart Capture camera modes
- Glowpad torch
Based on the Android Open Source Project, CarbonROM is one of the most well-known custom ROMs available for various Android devices and it aims at providing users with speed, stability and lots of great features.
CarbonROM’s features include customizable navigation bar color, customizable signals and battery icons, Carbon fibers and additional options in the power menu.
- Expanded desktop
- See through navigation and status bars
- Dark mode
7. PAC-man ROM
PAC-man ROM is also quite popular on various Android smartphones and if you want to get the best features from several different ROMs, then this is probably the best option. PAC-man ROM brings tweaks from Paranoid Android, AOKP and CyanogenMod ROMs.
- All features from Paranoid Android
- PAC console
- All CyanogenMod features
8. Xperia-Z-ized ROM
If you’re a fan of Sony’s Xperia smartphones or you like Sony’s unique apps and features, then this is probably the best ROM that you can install on your Galaxy Note 1.
It brings various features from the Sony Xperia Z such as browser, lock screen, Walkman, widgets, calculator, keyboard, car launcher and TrackID.
- Sound libraries from Xperia Z
- Mobile Bravia engine
- Facebook inside Xperia
9. Biftor SlimKat ROM
Biftor SlimKat ROM is a great custom ROM for the Galaxy Note 1 that brings several cool features including Biftor ROM Control, Nova launcher and SlimPie.
- Hardware keys customization
- Customization of Recent panel
The final ROM in this list is AllianceROM and it brings many cool apps and features including five battery options, OpenVPN and Beats audio libs.
- AOSP Photosphere camera
- Build.prop tweaks
- Init.d tweaks
The Samsung Galaxy Note 1 is a great phablet for watching videos, browsing the web and playing HD games. However, if you feel that your Galaxy Note is outdated or that you should buy a new phablet, then I would recommend trying a custom ROM on your device.
Not only are custom ROMs good at changing the overall feel of your device, but they also bring in several performance and battery tweaks along with loads of cool features.
Make sure that you follow all the tips mentioned above before flashing any custom ROM on your Galaxy Note and feel free to leave us any questions in the comments area below. Also, let us know your favorite custom ROMs for Samsung Galaxy Note 1.