Android devices now have the capacity to store a huge amount of data. You can store photos, videos, documents, and other files, whether personal, work or business-related, in your phone or tablet. However, it’s always great to back up important data. And the best way to do that is back up data to the cloud. In relation to this, we have researched and compared some of the best backup cloud storage options for Android.
We can store data backup from our Android device to computers, SD cards or external hard drives. This is okay. But these physical devices are prone to various risks too, not to mention that it takes time to transfer and share files from one device to another. Something that using an Android cloud backup can solve.
Many of the cloud storage backup for Android are available for free up to a certain storage limit. Such storage can be expanded by paying a monthly or annual plan, the price of which depends on the provider you use, number of users and included features. Plans are also generally categorized into personal and business cloud backup.
Considering all these, we made a point-by-point comparison of some of the most-used backup cloud storage options for Android.
Related: Android Backup
6 Cloud Storage Options for Android: Overview
Let’s take a general look at each of the 6 cloud storage options.
Box is an online cloud backup for personal and business data. It is closely similar to Dropbox with an app downloadable for free at the Play Store. The first 10GB is free, with an unload limit of 250MB. Beyond this, you’ll need to pay a certain amount, depending on the plan, and whether it’s for personal or business use.
With the app, you can access certain files even when offline. Box’s focus is not only on providing a safe data backup, but also on offering easier document sharing and collaboration.
- 10GB free cloud storage
- Different file uploads (documents, videos, photos, and others)
- Offline access to specific folders and files
- Security controls (file-level)
- View and print files (more than 200 file types)
- Real-time search and updates feed
- Attachment-free file sharing (using a link)
- Large file sharing
- Partner apps-friendly
The following are the main advantages of using Box cloud storage:
- Sharing files without attachments (downloadable links)
- It allows you to set password and expiration dates on files for security
- Its mobile apps allow you to view, upload and share different kinds of files
- Designed for easy collaboration and file management
- Keep some files and items private, and make others public
- Fast file uploads and enhanced task management through the mobile app
However, Box is not a perfect cloud storage solution. It also suffers from drawbacks, especially on its enterprise and business plans. Here are the main reasons that turn off potential users:
- Minimum 3-user requirement
- Maximum 10-user on the starter plan
- Some plans don’t have advanced features and custom branding
- Higher-priced personal and business plans have an upload limit of 5GB
Nevertheless, despite these drawbacks, Box is still among the best cloud storage options out there. If you’re interested to check its mobile app, you can download it below.
Dropbox is designed for simplicity. No wonder why it’s one of the most popular cloud storage options. With Dropbox, you can easily store and share different types of files. Great for personal use or for collaborating on projects with a team.
However, of the 6 options featured here, Dropbox has the most limited free storage, which is only 2GB. But they offer great monthly and annual plans for more storage, up to 1TB for personal plans and more than 1TB for business plans.
- Easy storage and file access (from any device)
- Easy file sharing, even to those with no Dropbox account
- Real-time updates, which let you know if someone changes, comments or moves the shared files
- Save notes, receipts and others into PDF files (doc scanner-free)
The following are the main reasons why you should choose Dropbox if you’re looking for a cloud backup storage.
- Automatic data backup and restoration
- Advanced software integration
- Offline working functions
- File history feature
- Easy file synchronization
Despite the great features of Dropbox, it has major flaws as well. The following are the disadvantages of using Dropbox:
- 2GB free storage
- It lacks advanced security which makes it prone to risks
- It is difficult to locate files and folders using search
- No real-time editing
Here’s an old comparison between Box, Dropbox and Google Drive. If you’re interested to give Dropbox a try, download the mobile app below.
Google Drive is easily accessible and is a safe storage option for most. It allows you to backup data from any device (phone, computer, tablet, etc.). The videos, documents, photos and other files in the Drive are automatically backed up. You can also invite others to certain files and folders. Invited people can view, comment and edit the files shared.
- Safe file storage and file access
- Files can be searched by name, folder and content
- Easy file and folder sharing
- Quick viewing
- Set access as to who can edit, comment and view
- File activity and details
- Offline file viewing
- Document scanning
The advantages of using Google Drive include the following:
- Large free storage
- Great file syncing (including desktop-to-desktop)
- Good for productivity and collaboration
- Third-party integrations
- Cross-platform apps
Google Drive has a few disadvantages, namely:
- Slow upload and download speed
- Privacy and security concerns
- No password protection
For additional reference, here’s an old comparison between Dropbox and Google Drive. In case you want to try Google Drive, get the app below.
MEGA is best known for its unique encrypted cloud storage. The data is encrypted and can be decrypted only by the user, and not by MEGA. The files are encrypted not in MEGA’s servers, but on the user’s device. This ensures that private information will remain private.
With MEGA, you can upload, store, download, view, share, delete, stream and edit files from any device. It also offers real-time updates on shared files and folders. The service is more focused on privacy, above all else.
- 50GB free storage upon signing up
- Up to 4TB of storage space with 8TB bandwidth
- Encrypted file sharing and collaboration
- User-controlled, end-to-end encryption
- Easy automated synchronization
- File versioning and history
- Automatic photo and video backup
There are many things that people like about MEGA. The main advantages of using this cloud backup are as follows:
- Easy access to files
- Upload speed control through the browser
- Multiple file and folder downloads
- Encrypted sharing
- Secure and private storage
But there are a few things that people don’t like about MEGA. They include the following:
- Bandwidth limit (10GB)
- No password protection
- Lacks advanced link sharing
If you’re convinced that MEGA is what suits your needs best, get the mobile app below.
Resilio Sync allows you to store data on a private cloud. Your data will not be remotely stored in cloud storage systems, which makes it different from other cloud backup solutions on the list. You can automatically backup and sync different file types without the need for third-party storage. However, since there’s no remote cloud storage system, you’ll be relying mostly on the storage capacity of your connected devices.
The service is free for simple device-to-device file transfers. However, if you want advanced features, you’ll need to pay a one-time fee of $39. This fee is for lifetime access.
- Sync data on SD card, hard drive and other devices
- Faster transfer of synced folders and files
- Automatic video and photo backup
- Easy file access from any connected device
- No storage limits (dependent on the device’s storage capacity)
- Encyrpted data
- Runs on NAS
- Quick setup of folders
- Easy file access and sharing
- Free for basic features
- One-time payment for advanced features (no monthly or annual fee)
Resilio Sync, however, is technically more of a private cloud backup, which has various negative implications. The following are the major drawbacks of this storage backup solution:
- Storage is dependent on the connected device’s storage
- No file versioning
- Not too many advanced features
You can give Resilio Sync a try by downloading the app below.
SpiderOak ONE is cloud storage that focuses on security and privacy. It’s most noted for its confidential backup feature, especially when it comes to protecting users from data loss and ransomware. The mobile app also lets you share files through a secure link.
- Easy file access
- View shared files easily through ShareRooms
- Send files through a secure share link
- Open and share documents using other applications
- Unlimited devices
- File history versioning
- Fast backup and download speed
- Unlimited computer backup
- Unlimited file versioning
- Deleted file retention
- Private encryption
- Secure and private storage
- Expensive compared with others
- Lacks 2-factor authentication
- No mobile backup
Download the mobile app if you decide to give this cloud storage a try.
Cloud Storage for Android: Storage Comparison
Of the 6 cloud storage options featured here, only 4 have indicated a clear free storage limit. The 2 either has no free storage (SpiderOak) or no limit since the storage is dependent upon the device or devices used (Resilio Sync).
All 6 offer personal plans and business plans, each with different storage limits. Here’s an overview of the storage comparison of the cloud storage backups for Android:
|Box||Dropbox||Google Drive||MEGA||Resilio Sync||SpiderOak ONE|
|10 GB (free)||2 GB (free)||15 GB (free)||50 GB (free)||Dependent on device storage||No free storage|
|100 GB (personal)||2 TB to 3 TB (personal)||15 GB (personal)||200 GB to 8 TB (personal)||Unlimited (dependent on device storage)||150 GB to 5 TB (personal)|
|100 GB to Unlimited (business)||3 TB to as needed (business)||No limit – $1 per 25 GB (business)||Unlimited (business)||Unlimited (dependent on device storage)||150 GB to 5 TB (business)|
Cloud Storage Options: Difference in Pricing
Each of the cloud storage options has its own pricing plans. While they offer free storage, it might not be sufficient especially if you’re using cloud backup for business. Now let’s take a look at the pricing plans and packages of each.
For individuals who need to use Box cloud backup for personal purposes, you can use it for free. With this free service, you can secure and access data from anywhere using your Android device. There’s a 5 GB free storage with an upload limit of 250 MB.
If you need more storage, you can purchase the Personal Pro plan. Designed for individuals who need flexible and more storage for personal files, this plan offers a 100 GB storage limit with an upload limit of 5 GB.
You can also choose a plan for business purposes. Box offers 4 business plans, from a starter plan of 100 GB to an advanced plan of unlimited storage and users.
Visit Box’s official website to learn more about their services and offers.
You can store and access files from multiple devices for free up to 2 GB using the Dropbox Basic. However, if you need more storage space and other features, you can sign up for the Plus or Professional plan. You can choose to be billed monthly or yearly. Here’s an overview of the 3 personal plans for individuals:
But if you need an Android cloud backup for business, then Dropbox Business is more apt. Like the individual plan, the business plan has 3 available packages: Standard, Advanced and Enterprise. The pricing is generally based on the number of users, the storage limit, and the other included features.
Want to know more about Dropbox? Feel free to visit their website.
Google Drive is most-known for its personal drive feature. You can use it for free for the first 15 GB. With this, you can store, access and even share your files across any Android device without costing you a cent.
However, there’s also a business version of Google Drive, the Google Drive Enterprise. This does not only allow you to store, access and share various files. It is also designed to cater to the needs of your business, for integration, productivity and teamwork.
For the Drive Enterprise pricing, there are no storage limits. You will just have to pay $8 per user per month.
Check out this page if you want to understand how Google Drive Enterprise works and what are its other features.
When you create an account with MEGA, you will get free storage of up to 50 GB. While such storage is already large enough, there may be instances when you need more storage and advanced features.
You can upgrade your personal account by getting the Pro plan, with a starting monthly pricing of €4.99 or approximately $5.60 per month. There’s also a Business plan for unlimited storage for teams, from €10.00 or around $11.30 per user per month.
Feel free to visit MEGA’s official site to learn more about their cloud backup services.
There are 3 basic plans offered by Resilio Sync. The Sync Home is for individuals who need to sync files for personal use only. For this plan, you’ll only need to make a one-time payment of $59.99. If you need something for the family, up to 5 users, you can choose the Sync Family. Like the first, this also only requires a one-time payment of $99.99.
However, if you need to use Resilio Sync for business, you can purchase it with a monthly payment of $29 or more, depending on the business plan you choose.
Visit Resilio Sync’s website and learn all you need to know about this cloud backup solution.
Unlike the others, SpiderOak ONE does not offer free storage. In lieu of free storage, it instead offers a 21-day free trial.
The cheapest monthly plan is $6 for 150 GB storage. But if you want to max it up, you can choose the $29 per month plan of 5 TB storage. All plans are for unlimited devices. Moreover, instead of paying monthly, you can opt to get billed annually.
Learn more about SpiderPak ONE backup cloud storage by visiting this website.
Cloud Storage Options: What People Ask About
What is cloud storage for Android?
- Essentially, a cloud storage for Android is a service in which data is backed up, managed and maintained remotely. The data is backed up to the cloud, which basically is the internet. This makes the data easier to access and share.
How to backup data for Android games via the cloud?
- You can do this using the Google Play Games cloud-saving feature. This allows you to sync Android games data from 1 device to another. To do this, just make sure you are logged in to your Google account (in both devices). Then go to Settings, proceed to Accounts and Sync, and choose Google. Switch on the Play Game Cloud Save slider. However, not all games support this.
Can you disable automatic cloud backup on Android?
- Yes, you can disable automatic cloud backup. There are various ways to do this. You can learn about disabling auto photo syncing here.
Choose Your Backup Cloud Storage
The 6 backup cloud storage solutions reviewed here each has its strengths and weaknesses. There are those that focused more on privacy, while others more on ease-of-use. Which is the best backup storage ultimately depends on your personal preference.
We hope that through this comparison, you have found which cloud backup is best for you or your business. Let us know what you think and leave a comment below.