There are several reasons why we need to connect our Android phones to our PC. It could be to copy or transfer files between the 2 devices or sync both devices with each other. Aside from that, you might also need to connect your Android phone to your PC if:
- You need to update your Android device using your manufacturer’s PC software.
- Flash custom ROMs and mods.
- Edit, modify, or manage files and folders on your Android device using your PC/laptop.
- You need to manage your Android device from your PC using a third-party device manager.
Whatever your reason may be, this article will help you find out how you can easily connect your Android device to your PC effortlessly.
5 Methods to Connect your Android Phone to your PC
Using Your USB Charging Cable
This is the most convenient way of transferring files from your Android phone to PC and vice versa.
USB cables are almost always available. Take your USB charging cable, plug it on your phone and connect it to the USB port of your PC and you’re ready to go.
Once connected, Android devices would ask your permission to access the files from your device. Select OK. Alternatively, your PC/laptop will show a pop-up window similar to Figure 1. Select “Open Folder to View Files”.
Transferring files can be as basic as copying and pasting your files from one storage to another. If you want to update your Android device or flash custom ROMs, open your Android Manager or any third-party app on your PC. Your device should now appear as connected in the software and you can perform your desired function.
Connecting Via Bluetooth
Using Bluetooth connection to send files across your devices is the next best thing after USB connection.
If there is no Wi-Fi available to connect to, this method is your best bet. Connecting via Bluetooth is one of the most reliable methods to transfer or share your files to your PC/laptop. All you have to do is pair both devices.
- Open Bluetooth on your PC/laptop and Android device
- If any of your devices don’t recognize the other, tap “Devices and Printers” on your PC/laptop and tap “Search” on your phone.
- If your devices have not previously connected, you would need to pair them first using a code.
- Once paired, tap on the file that you want to transfer.
- To transfer files from your PC to your phone, click the Bluetooth icon on the corner right hand of your screen and select “Send a File”.
If your PC doesn’t have a Bluetooth feature, you can purchase Bluetooth adapters that can turn non-Bluetooth PC/laptop to Bluetooth-capable. Check out Avantree DG40S USB Bluetooth Adapter.
If you’re using Windows 8 or 10, the drivers will be automatically installed once you plug the device in.
For Windows 7, XP, or Vista, you can install the driver from the CD that goes with the box. Alternatively, you can download the Avantree software here and install to your PC/laptop to use.
Connect Using AirDroid
You can make use of your local Wi-Fi connection to connect your Android phone to your PC.
AirDroid is one of the best apps available on the Play Store that lets you perform various functions on your Android device wirelessly. Unlike other wireless options, AirDroid doesn’t require driver installations. You also don’t need to install third-party apps on your PC.
- Make sure you have a working internet connection and AirDroid is installed on your Android device.
- Open the app. You will be prompted to sign in or register.
- A “Find a Phone” pop-up should appear. Just hit the “Later” button.
- You will be redirected to the app’s main screen. Select “Turn On Now”.
- Connect your Android to your PC via Wi-Fi. Make sure that your PC is connected to the same network.
On your PC’s browser, enter the IP address and the port number that is shown on your Android device. Alternatively, you can go to http://web.airdroid.com and enter your account details. A pop-up window requesting access on your Android device will appear. Select “Accept”.
AirDroid supports sending and receiving SMS, importing and exporting files, taking screenshots, managing media files, editing contacts, and a lot more.
Using NFC Connection
Newer devices (Android 8.0 and up) can transfer files from PC and Android via Near Field Communication (NFC). To use this method, both devices should have the NFC technology and has an Android Beam app installed.
Keep in mind that this method only works if both devices are in close proximity. Also, be sure that your devices are unlocked.
- Turn on NFC by tapping on your settings.
- Select Connected Devices>Connection Preferences
- Toggle NFC On.
- Launch Android Beam
- Open the content that you want to share
- Place both devices near each other or “back to back”. A sound or vibration will notify you that both devices are already connected.
- Select “Tap to Beam”/”Touch to Beam”
If your PC doesn’t have the NFC technology, you can use an NFC contactless port like the ACS NFC ACR122U.
Connect via Google Account
You can also use your Google Account to transfer files between PC and Android device.
- Open the Google Drive app on your Android device
- Select “Add”
- Select “Upload”
- Select the files that you want to upload.
- On your browser, go to https://www.google.com/drive/ and sign in to your account
- You will then be able to view your uploaded file in “My Drive”
People Also Asked
Why can’t I connect my Android phone to my PC?
Before anything else, how are you trying to connect your Android phone to your PC? Are connecting via USB cable? Before trying to “play” or debugging your devices, try using switching cables first. It could be that you’re using a defective cable.
If you are connecting via Bluetooth, it could be possible that your devices are not yet paired. Try restarting your devices. If you’re using Windows 10 and it doesn’t recognize your device, try turning on the “Airplane Mode” before transferring your files. It works sometimes with other users.
Can I connect my Android phone and use it as a mouse?
Yes. You will need to install a third-party app to do so. We recommend using Unified Remote. It comes with a free and paid version. The free version has 18 remotes and third-party keyboard support. You need to install the desktop and the mobile app for it to work.
How can I connect my Android device to a monitor?
Want to view your phone’s screen in a larger device, say your computer monitor or TV? You can connect your Android phone to a monitor using an HDMI Cable. We recommend the WEILIANTE MHL to HDMI Cable. Use it as plug-and-play and is compatible with both iPhone and Android devices.
Connecting Your Devices Made Easy
The connection between your Android device and your PC is essential for performing various tasks on both devices. Connecting your Android gadget to a PC is a prerequisite for functions like updating your device or installing third party ROMs and mods.
Most Android device manufacturers do have their PC app for allowing users to manage their Android devices from their PCs.
Do you know any other methods on how to connect an Android phone to a PC? Are there any techniques that you wish to share on how to transfer files on an Android device? Share it with us in the comments section below!