Do you happen to own an Insignia TV?
Great. It’s an affordable, dependable piece of technology. But are you having problems connecting it to your Google Home? If you are, you’re in the right article. Because we’ll teach you just that: how to connect Google Home to Insignia TV.
But why connect the TV with Google Home in the first place?
The answer boils down to one simple answer: It elevates your TV-watching experience to a whole new experience.
With Google Home, you can do a lot of things with your Insignia TV using voice commands: cast content (games, shows, sports, movies, anything) from your Android device to your TV.
In other words, you play streaming content on your TV from your device and access some features using voice commands.
But that’s not even the cool part yet. Here’s the thing:
With Google Home, you can turn on or turn off your TV.
And that’s because Insignia TVs are one of the smart TVs with HDMI-CEC, which when enabled, allows you to turn it on or off using voice commands.
If you happen to have a Sony TV too, you can learn how to connect it to Google Home with this guide.
Let’s head on to the methods on how to connect Google Home to Insignia TV.
Related: Best Google Home Compatible TVs
Connect Google Home with a Chrome Cast
For this method to work, you’ll need the following:
- Insignia Smart TV
- Internet connection
Connect Devices to WiFi
Make sure that your Android device, Google Home and Insignia TV are all connected to the same internet connection.
Connect Chromecast to Your TV
Once everything’s connected to the same internet connection, it’s time to plug in the Chromecast device to your Insignia TV.
Once the device is plugged in, proceed to the next step.
Link Google Home to Your Smart TV
Follow these easy steps if you want to link Google Home using Chromecast. If you don’t have a Chromecast or not sure which model to get, check out this Google Chromecast comparison.
- Download the Google Chromecast app in your Android phone or tablet.
- Open the Chromecast app.
- Set up a new device by tapping “Add,” then “Set up device,” then “Set up devices in your home.”
- Tap the “home” which you want to add the device to, then hit “Next.”
- Then tap the device which you want to set up, then tap “Next.”
- A code will appear both on your Android device and the Insignia TV; make sure the code match.
- You can then either choose to tap “Yes, I’m in” or “No thanks.”
- Tap the “room” when you want to set up the device, then hit “Next.”
- Choose the WiFi network you’re connecting the device to. Tap “Next.”
- Then tap “Next” again.
- You can then choose to get emails by either tapping “Sign up” or “No thanks.”
- Also, select the video services you need to add.
- Tap “Next.”
- Finally, tap “Continue>Continue.”
Connect Google Home with Roku TV
Some Insignia TVs have built-in Roku. If you own such TV model, then you should try this method. This comes handy if you don’t have a Chromecast device.
An essential part of making this happen is by downloading the Quick Remote for Google Home.
If you don’t have this app yet, make sure you download it first here.
Once you have downloaded and properly installed the app on your Android device, link it both to your Google Home device and your Insignia TV as the Roku device.
Even if you don’t have Google Home, you can still use voice commands. This is because the app works with Google Assistant as well. So as long as you have Google Assistant on your phone, you can voice-control your TV and other Roku devices you’ve linked with the app.
Turn Your Insignia TV On and Off with Google Home
If you’ve successfully connected Google Home to your Insignia TV, you can start using voice commands, casting content on your TV from your device, and unlock various entertainment possibilities.
But one of the great features of Insignia TVs is that they support HDMI-CEC. It’s among the TV brands that support CEC (Consumer Electronics Control).
By default, the CEC is turned off. So in order for you to use voice command to turn on or off your TV, make sure that you enable or turn on the CEC first. Just go to your TV’s settings and look for CEC. The location of such settings depends on what TV model you’re using. Don’t worry, you’ll easily find it in the TV settings.
To turn your TV on, just say “Okay Google” or “Hey Google” and use any of these voice commands: Turn on the TV or Power on the TV. On the other hand, if you want to turn off your TV, use these commands: Turn off the TV or Power off the TV.
However, if you have more than 1 TV connected to your Google Home, you must mention the device name (or the name you’ve given your TV with) when you make the commands. Say for example: “Hey Google… turn on the Insignia TV.”
Voice Commands Not Working?
If the voice commands don’t seem to work or you get no response from your TV, you can follow these steps to fix the problem:
- First, make sure that the CEC is enabled or turned on. As mentioned earlier, CEC is turned off by default.
- Transfer the Chromecast device to a different HDMI port.
- Unplug your Insignia TV. Wait for around 10 minutes before plugging it back in.
- If it still doesn’t work, try using a different voice command.
- Sometimes the problem can be caused by repeated turning on and off of the TV within a very short period of time. To avoid this from happening, it’s better to give your TV a rest. About 10 minutes will do, after which you can try using the voice commands again.
What People Ask
Who makes Insignia TV?
Insignia TVs are house-made TV by Best Buy, made up of other brand parts like LG.
How to use Insignia TV without remote?
If you have lost your Insignia TV remote, you can replace it with a universal remote. But you can also download an Android TV remote app that is compatible with your Insignia TV.
Can Insignia TV be used as a monitor?
Yes, they can be used as a monitor. However, this only works if your PC has an HDMI output or you have an adapter to convert DVI or VGA ouput to HDMI.
Enjoy Your Insignia TV Better
Insignia TVs may be made from various TV parts of other brands like LG. They’re Best Buy’s house-made brand. They may not be the top player in the smart TV market. But they’ve got some pretty neat smart TVs.
But you can step up your game by connecting Google Home to your Insignia TV. You can enjoy its features better and you can command and use it with more ease. Make it truly smart.
We hope the methods worked on your end. Feel free to leave your comments, questions or suggestions below.