Let’s first understand the basics of GIF!
What is a GIF?
A Graphical Interchange Format (GIF) is an image format in which a series of images are played in a loop without sound. This image format was invented by Steven Wilhite, a US-based software writer in 1987. Since it uses lossless compression, the quality of the images used remains the same.
Creating GIFs on Android!
Did you know you can create customized GIFs (with videos) and animated GIFs (with images) on Android? No? Well, now you know. I often feel like sharing a short clip from my favorite TV show as a motion image. And at times, I record a hilarious act put up by a homie and turn it to a funny motion image. Sounds fun, isn’t it?
Indeed, it is fun! And let me tell you, you can do it too with your Android phone. Today, I’m going to list down three ways to make a GIF on Android. As a note, to make a GIF on Android using these methods, you don’t need video editing skills. It’s so simple that you can do it with your eyes shut.
All you require is your Android phone and internet connection. Interestingly, the first method doesn’t even require the internet since GIFs can be made offline. So without further ado, let’s get started.
3 ways to make a GIF on Android
Make a GIF from Gallery
If you want a hassle-free experience in creating a GIF, I highly recommend this method. In fact, I never bother with the remaining two methods as I’m so comfortable creating GIFs from Gallery.
To make a GIF from the Gallery, follow these steps:
1. Open the Gallery app in your phone
2. Open the Videos folder
3. Select the video you would like to create a GIF from and tap on Play Video
4. Tap on GIF to start creating the GIF
5. Adjust the length and speed of the GIF
6. Tap on Save
The GIF will be saved in your Gallery
Make a GIF from WhatsApp
This method allows you to create a GIF right from a WhatsApp chat. Sending GIFs in WhatsApp is much easier with this trick than creating a GIF in the Gallery and then sharing it.
Follow these steps to make and share a GIF on Android:
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android phone
2. Select the video file you want to create a GIF from
3. Cut the video to up to 6 seconds by dragging the length adjustor
Note: You can only make a GIF for clips shorter than 6 seconds
4. Trim the part of the video you want in the GIF
5. Tap on the GIF button near the video button under the video clip bar
6. Tap play to review (the GIF will start playing in a loop)
7. Hit the send button
The clip will be shared as a GIF.
Make a GIF using GIF maker apps
What if you have a collection of funny images you want to be converted to a GIF? The above two methods won’t work to create animated GIFs. Remember, whenever you have a limitation with in-built features on Android, there’s always an app by your side to help you solve the problem.
There are lots of GIF maker apps available on the Google Play Store to help you sail through it. Here, I’ll teach you how to make a GIF on Android using the most popular GIF repository tool, GIPHY.
GIF on GIPHY app
GIPHY is hands down the best GIF maker app on the Play Store. Here’s what you can do on GIPHY.
- Share stickers, GIFs, and short-form videos across social media channels
- Search for a GIF from the largest GIF library
- Explore your favorite stuff – memes, TV, movies, music, and more
- Make and share animated stickers
- GIF reactions for chatting
And most importantly, you can create and customize a GIF using additional elements like text, stickers, filters, and more!
Get the app on the Google Play Store by clicking on this button
To make a GIF on GIPHY, try this.
1. Install and open GIPHY app on your Android
2. Sign Up to create an account on GIPHY
3. On the top right corner, tap on the Create button
4. Allow camera access
5. Start recording a video or choose a video from your phone’s Gallery
6. Next, trim the video for the required length and add the effects like text, stickers, and filters.
7. Tap the arrow button on bottom right
8. Save the GIF by tapping on Share GIF > Save GIF.
Note: You can upload the GIF either publicly or privately on GIF.
How easy was that? Here’s the resulting GIF:
GIFs have come of age with new trends on social media every day. Literally, anything is meme material for meme enthusiasts. But why should memers have all the fun? You have such amazing tools to make GIFs on Android. Leverage them to share some cool stuff with your followers, kith, and kin to make their day and create a light moment in people’s busy lives.
I hope this article brought some value to your Android usage and you learned a few splendid and ridiculously easy ways to make a GIF on Android. See you next time, cheers!