What would you do if all your precious photos and important files suddenly disappeared from your SD card?
You’d probably freak out!
Good news: There are ways to recover corrupted SD card data.
Before you start worrying about how to do it, don’t get overwhelmed. It’s much easier than you think.
And today’s your lucky day! We listed easy ways with steps on how to recover corrupted SD card data.
But before we go to these solutions, it’s crucial to understand how an SD card becomes corrupted.
Common Reasons for SD Card Corruption
Accidents happen especially when we least expect them. And sometimes, these accidents include your SD cards and devices getting wet.
SD cards are often waterproof. However, they could become corrupted when soaked for too long. When you remove and insert them incorrectly, SD cards can also become corrupted.
2. Bad Sector Accumulation
Mishandled or low-quality SD cards can cause bad sectors to accumulate over time. When this happens, you won’t be able to access the information on your SD card.
3. Malware or Virus Infection
Constantly downloading on the Internet can put your device and SD card at risk of getting infected with malicious software.
Once malware or virus infects your SD card, it would likely become unreadable and corrupted.
3 Methods on How to Recover Corrupted SD Card Data
Method 1: Recovering Data from Damaged SD Card Due to Water Immersion
Warning: Don’t attempt to use your SD card after being submerged in water. When it got wet while inserted into a device, remove it immediately.
Using a soaked SD card can worsen the problem. Once you’ve got your SD card secured, move on to the next steps.
1. Place the SD card into a resealable bag.
2. Put packets of silica gel into the bag with the wet SD card. Silica gel is a moisture-absorbing material.
You can find them in some products like food and medicine. If you don’t have enough silica gel packets available, you can buy some online.
3. Let it sit for a couple of days up to a week. This is to make sure the silica gel packets absorbed all the moisture from the SD card.
4. Check carefully if there are any traces of moisture left in the SD card. If there are none, attach the SD card to a computer using a card reader.
5. Use professional software to recover corrupted SD card data like Wondershare’s Recoverit. Download and learn how useful this is for recovering corrupted SD cards.
Protect Your SD Card from Environmental Damage
There are preventive measures to protect your SD card from environmental factors such as water.
a. Store your SD cards in special holders that can keep them safe.
b. Keep them away from extreme temperatures.
c. Don’t keep the cards with other items that can puncture or bend them. It’s also best to avoid dropping them.
Method 2: SD Card Recovery Due to Bad Sectors Using Error Checking Tool
You can utilize the Error Checking tool using a Windows computer to recover corrupted SD card data for free.
This tool can help repair bad sectors of the corrupted SD card.
1. Connect your SD card to any Windows PC.
2. Right-click on the Start Menu and select File Explorer or Open Windows Explorer. This will depend on the operating system of your PC.
3. Look for the SD card and right-click to open the pop-up menu. Click on Properties.
4. Go to the Tools tab where you’ll find the Error Checking tool.
5. Click on Check to start scanning your SD card.
Prevent Bad Sector Buildup in Your SD Card
Bad sectors can accumulate in your SD card over time. Still, you can prevent this from happening early by following these simple tips.
a. Turn off your device before removing or inserting your SD card.
b. Eject your SD card from your PC properly.
c. Don’t disconnect your SD card while your device or PC is writing, reading, or transferring data.
d. Invest in high-quality SD cards.
e. Don’t overload your SD card.
f. Format your SD card using the device you’ll be using it on. Make sure to back up your data before formatting.
Method 3: Recover Corrupted SD Card Infected with Malware or Virus
One of the worst things that you corrupt your SD card is by malware or virus infection. This can lead to your SD card becoming inaccessible.
Here are steps on how you could recover an SD card corrupted by malicious programs.
1. Download and install iCare Data Recovery® Pro Edition. This software offers 1GB free data recovery.
It can search for corrupted SD cards and look for lost files. You can buy the full version if you need to recover corrupted micro SD card data of more than 1GB.
2. It has three different modes. Check and use which mode works best for you.
3. Select the SD card you want to recover and click on Next.
4. It will take time to scan and retrieve your files. You will find a preview of the data in the SD card.
Choose the files you want to recover and click on Next to see the magic happen.
5. Once you’ve recovered your files, you have two choices:
a. Use antivirus software to clean the SD card from viruses and malware.
b. Format the SD card to get rid of the virus completely. Be warned: only do this once you’ve retrieved all the files you need.
Avoid Malware and Viruses from Infecting Your SD Card
You put your SD cards at risk when you’re not vigilant enough. One of the best ways to prevent viruses and malware infections is by using antivirus software on your devices.
Besides that, there are other ways to prevent malicious programs from infecting your SD cards.
a. Use the write-protect tab on your SD card when reading data using a PC. Slide the tab down to lock the SD card and prevent modifying or deleting files.
When transferring data from the SD card to a device, slide down the tab to prevent viruses from infecting your card.
b. Only connect your SD cards to PCs that you trust. Also, be aware of other SD cards or devices you connect to your PC to avoid spreading viruses to SD cards you own.
c. Scan your SD cards for viruses and malware regularly.
Can I recover corrupted SD card data without using a computer?
It’s possible to recover data from a corrupted SD card without a computer using data recovery apps that you can download and install.
How can I recover data from a bent SD card?
Seek help from a company that specializes in data recovery. Professionals will get the memory chips inside the SD card and use special equipment to recover your data.
Why should I buy data recovery software when I can download free ones?
Free data recovery software often has limitations. You can get more services or data recovery capacity from paid software.
A corrupted SD card doesn’t mean the end of the world. Choose the best method to solve your problem and follow the easy step to recover your data.
It really is that simple!
Still, SD card data corruption can have other causes. If none of these methods work for you, look for companies that provide data recovery services.
But, remember this:
Prevention is indeed still better than cure. It’s best to prevent data corruption from occurring which can lead to inconveniences.