The OnePlus One is a relatively new Android smartphone and it features excellent software and hardware features. That being said, I believe users can face bugs and software issues on almost any Android device. So, why not learn how to reset OnePlus One?
Whether you’re facing a bug after updating your OnePlus One or you’re seeing random glitches on your phone, you can solve most common issues by resetting your phone.
In this post, I’ll show you two different ways that you can use in order to reset your OnePlus One and there is a high probability that your problem or glitch will be fixed once you reset your device.
Why Perform A Reset On Your OnePlus One?
Resetting the phone usually deletes all of its data and settings which is why some users don’t like resetting their phones. Here are the reasons why you should reset your OnePlus One.
- Fix a bug that you’re facing after updating your OnePlus One. While software updates aim at improving the experience of users, sometimes you can face issues after updating the phone and resetting the phone becomes essential in this case.
- If your phone is malfunctioning randomly, then resetting the device is ideal in this case as well. Sometimes, Android devices start to malfunction and you might face things like random reboots. When you don’t know the root cause, you can reset the device for fixing this.
- Clean your OnePlus One when selling it to someone. As resetting deletes everything from the phone, this is the perfect way to clean your phone when selling it to someone else and the buyer will get a fresh phone, without any of your personal data.
What Should You Do Before Resetting Your OnePlus One?
Before deciding whether you want to reset your phone, I would recommend trying alternative methods in order to fix your issue. This way, your phone’s data will not be deleted.
The first thing I would recommend is to try a simple reboot. If you haven’t rebooted your phone since the issue or bug, it might be fixed by a simple reboot. You can use your phone’s Power button to switch off your phone and to switch it back on.
If a reboot didn’t fix this issue, then I would recommend uninstalling a third-party app that you think is the culprit. For example, if you feel that the problem started after you installed a third-party app, you should uninstall it and check whether the problem remains.
If your problem is still not solved and you have made up your mind on resetting your OnePlus One, then there are certain things you should do before proceeding with any of the resetting methods mentioned below. While resetting is a safe process, you should still follow these tips.
- All your OnePlus One’s data will be deleted after resetting your phone which is why you should create a complete backup of your phone. You can also check out our list of the 10 best backup apps for Android.
- Another smart thing would be to sync your phone with your Google account. This way, when you sign in to your Google account after resetting your phone, you’ll get some of the stuff back, such as contact details.
Method 1: Resetting Through The Settings Menu
This is the easiest and most popular method for resetting your OnePlus One and you can find this on almost all Android smartphones and tablets. Even though this isn’t the hardware reset method that you can do through recovery, it will still delete everything from your phone.
While this is the easiest method, it will only work if you can access your OnePlus One’s Settings menu. If your phone is having trouble switching on or you can’t access Settings, then proceed to Method 2.
Go to Settings on your OnePlus One, scroll down and tap on the Backup & reset option.
Tap on Factory data reset.
Tap on Reset phone.
Tap on the Erase everything button. That’s it! Your OnePlus One will now perform a factory reset and it should reboot automatically once the process is complete.
Method 2: Resetting Through Recovery
This is another method of resetting your OnePlus One and the reset is performed through your phone’s recovery. You’ll need to use your hardware keys in order to boot into recovery.
This method is the perfect way of resetting your OnePlus One if you can’t access the Settings menu or if your phone is having a problem while booting. This is usually the last resort for resetting Android devices.
Make sure that your OnePlus One is switched off.
To boot into recovery, switch the phone back on while holding the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until you feel the phone vibrate.
While in recovery, go to the Wipe cache partition option using the Volume buttons and select it through the Power button. Select Yes if you get any confirmation option.
Once the cache is wiped, go to the Wipe data/factory reset option using the Volume buttons and select it using the Power button. Select Yes if you get any option for confirmation. Wait for the resetting process to complete. This might take a while.
Go to the Reboot system now option and select it using the Power button. That’s it! You have successfully performed a factory reset on your OnePlus One and your phone will now reboot.
The OnePlus One is one of the best Android smartphones that you can buy right now, and even though it is an excellent device, you can still face minor bugs, glitches and software issues on the phone.
I believe that even the best smartphones are not perfect and users can face some bugs from time to time. That being said, there’s a solution on Android devices for almost every problem and performing a factory reset is a great solution if you’re facing issues on your OnePlus One.
Please follow the alternatives mentioned above before resetting your phone and if you do end up resetting your OnePlus One, then make sure you follow all the instructions properly.
If you have any questions on how to reset OnePlus One, then feel free to shoot them in the comments area below.