Did you accidentally delete an Android app on your device’s home screen? You must be annoyed, right? Fortunately, for the majority of devices, deleting an app on the home screen won’t delete the app itself. However, it depends on your device, the version of the Android OS you’re running, and which type of app you would like to retrieve.
As long as you didn’t accidentally delete the app itself, restoring any deleted Android app icons on your home screen won’t be a problem. To help you, I’ve compiled tips that have worked for me. No matter what Android OS you have and or what type of icon you need to get, this should help.
Each of these methods won’t take even two minutes to finish. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to restore deleted Android app icons
1. Check your app drawer
The “App drawer” is usually the best place to start if you’re missing essential icons on your device. If you’re not sure, the app drawer is the icon in the middle of your bottom dock, that opens a menu containing most of the apps found on your device.
1. Tap the “App drawer” icon on your device. (You can also swipe up or down on most devices.) Doing this should bring up a list of all the apps on your phone, and you can scroll across pages to view more.
2. Find the app for which you want to make a shortcut. (If you can’t find it, you can easily search the app on the search bar.)
3. Hold down the icon, and it will open your Home screen.
4. From there, you can drop the icon wherever you like. This method will create a new shortcut on your device.
If you’ve accidentally deleted Android app icons on your app drawer, don’t worry. You’ll be able to get it back by checking method seven on this list.
2. Long press a blank space on your home screen
It should be easy enough to get most icons back on your device, and you might not even have to use the app drawer to get them back again.
1. The easiest way to recover lost or deleted Android app icons/widgets is to touch and hold on an empty space on your Home screen. This method should cause a new menu to pop up with customizable options for your device.
2. Next, select Widgets and Apps to open a new menu.
3. Tap Apps. From here, you can choose the app icon that you previously deleted by mistake.
4. Hold the icon and drag it onto a space on your device. (You can rearrange it later.)
5. Your app should now be exactly where you want it to be, and it’ll be ready to use right away.
3. Add a new launcher
If you’re having issues with your current launcher, it’s a good idea to install a new one. There are plenty of options to choose from on the Play Store, and they all come with several different features to customize your device.
In case launchers are new to you, a launcher is an app that controls the layout and look of your Home screen and your app drawer.
1. Install the launcher on your device and set it as your default launcher.
2. Restart your device.
3. You will now have a different Home screen.
4. You’ll be able to find and arrange apps and change their icons from within the new launcher.
If you don’t like the look of your new launcher, you can always go back to the stock option, or you can try out a new one. But if you want to see some in action, here’s an article on the best lightweight Android launcher.
4. Re-enable disabled apps, or find apps you’ve hidden
If you’ve disabled or hidden any apps on your device, this could be the cause of an app icon that went missing on your Android device. If any of this sounds familiar, you can check in the applications menu to make sure.
1. Open the “Apps” or “Applications menu” from your Settings menu.
2. Tap the app whose icon you would like to be able to see again.
3. If you see a button that says “Enable/Start”, this is likely to be the source of your problem. tap “Enable/Start” to get your icons back again.
5. See if you’ve deleted the entire application
Is it possible that you deleted the app entirely from your device and not just the shortcut on your Home screen? You can always check the Play Store for a backup.
If it says Install (instead of Update or Open), you may have deleted the whole app by mistake.
If you deleted the app accidentally, you can always reinstall the app easily. Apps leave a cache on your device for future re-use, so that you won’t lose your data.
A factory reset is also another option to get your device back to normal, but it’s a drastic option, so check one of the other methods before considering it.
6. Retrieve custom Android app icons that have disappeared
Custom icons can be a refreshing addition to your usual phone aesthetic, but an update could unexpectedly cause them to disappear from your device.
If you’re having issues with custom icons or custom launchers, resetting the device or launcher should solve your problem, or you can always try the other methods on this list.
If you want to learn more about custom icons on Android, here’s more information to get you started.
7. Check if you’ve deleted the app drawer icon
If you’ve accidentally removed the app drawer icon on your Android, there’s no need to stress. It should be easy to recover the app drawer icon, but the steps may differ slightly depending on your device.
Here are a couple of ways to get the app drawer back:
1. Head to the static bottom panel on your device, known as the “Lower Dock”. (This is the one that stays the same no matter which home screen page you’re on.)
2. You will have to move one of the apps on this panel to make space for the app drawer if there isn’t one. You can delete one of these features by holding it down, and confirm delete, or move it to an unused hole on your “Home screen“.
3. It should turn into a plus sign.
4. If you tap this icon, it should bring up a list of options you can choose from to fill the space.
5. Select the “App Drawer icon” to get it back on your Home screen.
6. If you don’t see a plus sign, long-press the Lower Dock and tap default icon. You should be able to find and select the app drawer option from here.
Once you have access to your app drawer, it will be easier to recover any deleted or hidden Android app icons.
Frequently Asked Questions
To sum it all up
Accidentally deleting your app icons can be a pain but usually not that big a pain. Thankfully, there are quite a few decent and quick solutions to recover these deleted apps and icons.
With the few tips I mentioned above, you should now be able to restore most apps and app icons on your device, including the app drawer itself.
If I missed anything, or if you have questions about anything on the list, let me know by leaving a message in the comments section below!