Have you accidentally deleted some Android app icons on your device?
You might have skipped a heartbeat or got nervous, right? But, there’s nothing to worry about it, because things happen!
Fortunately, there are many ways possible for you to be able to get it back. However, it depends on your device, the version of the Android OS you’re running, and which type of icon you would like to retrieve.
Related: Best Android Data Recovery Software
As long as you didn’t accidentally delete the device, restoring deleted app icons isn’t a problem. There are tons of methods out there to do this and fix your issue in a few minutes.
Well, it’s your lucky day!
To help you, we have compiled a few solutions for you to try no matter what Android OS you have and what type of icon you need to get. We’ve tried and tested each of these methods, and each of them works.
Do you know what the best part is?
Each method won’t even take two minutes to finish. That means you can try all of our tips and restore your deleted Android app icons without even breaking a sweat!
So, without further ado, let’s get started.
How to Restore Deleted and Missing App Icons
Check Your App Drawer
The app drawer is usually the best place to start if you’re missing essential icons on your device. If you’re not sure, the app drawer is the icon in the middle of your bottom dock, that opens a menu containing most of the apps found on your device.
1. Tap the App drawer icon on your device. (It looks like six squares or circles.) Doing this should bring up a list of all the apps on your phone, and you can scroll across pages to view more.
2. Find the app which you want to make a copy. (If you can’t find it, all devices should have a search feature located in this menu.)
3. Hold the icon, and it will open your Home screen.
4. From there, you can drop the icon wherever you like. This method will create a new shortcut on your device, and it could hopefully solve the problem.
If you’ve accidentally deleted the shortcut to your app drawer, don’t worry. You’ll be able to get it back by checking method seven on this list.
Long Pressing a Blank Space on Your Home Screen
It should be easy enough to get most icons back on your device, and you might not even have to use the app drawer to get them back again.
1. The easiest way to recover a lost or deleted app icon/widget is to touch and hold a space on your Home screen. This method should cause a new menu to pop up with customizable options for your device.
2. Next, select Widgets and Apps to bring up a new menu.
3. Tap Apps. From here, you can choose the app icon that you previously deleted by mistake.
4. Hold the icon and drag it to a space on your device. (You can always rearrange it later.)
5. Your app should now be exactly where you want it to be, and it’ll be ready to use right away.
Adding a New Launcher
If you’re having issues with the launcher, it is a good idea to install a new one entirely. There are lots of options to choose from on the Play Store, and they all come with several different features to customize your device.
In case these are all new to you, a launcher is an app that controls the layout and looks of your Home screen and your app drawer.
1. Install the launcher to your device. Open it by pressing your Home button afterward.
2. Select the launcher, and you should now have a different Home screen, depending on which one you decided to use.
3. You should be able to find and arrange apps and their icons from within the launcher.
If you don’t like the look of your new launcher, you can always go back to the stock option, or try out a new one.
If you want to see some in action, here’s an article of the best lightweight Android launcher.
Re-enabling Disabled Apps, or Finding Apps You’ve Hidden
If you’ve disabled or hidden any apps on your device, this could be the cause of an app icon that goes missing on your Android device. If any of this sounds familiar, you can check in the applications menu to make sure.
1. Open the Apps or Applications menu from your Settings menu.
2. Tap the app whose icon you would like to be able to see again.
3. If you see a button that says Enable/Start, this is likely to be the source of your problem. Hit the toggle to get your icons back again.
See if You’ve Deleted the Entire Application
Is it possible that you deleted the app entirely from your device and not just the shortcut on your Home screen? You can always check the Play Store for a backup.
If it says Install(instead of Update or Open), you may have deleted the whole app by mistake.
Did you delete the app and forgot that you did? You can always reinstall the app if you got it from the store, while several stock apps are also available.
A factory reset is also another option to get your device back to normal, but it’s a drastic option, so check one of the other methods before considering it.
Retrieving Custom Icons Have Disappeared
Custom icons can serve to set your phone apart, but an update could unexpectedly cause them to disappear from your device.
If you’re having issues with custom icons or a custom launcher, resetting the device or launcher should solve your problems, or you can always try one of the other methods on this list.
If you want to learn more about custom icons on Android, here’s more information to get you started.
If You’ve Deleted the App Drawer Icon
If you’ve accidentally deleted the app drawer icon on your Android, there’s no need to get stressed. It should be easy to recover the app icon drawer, but the steps may differ slightly depending on your device.
Here are a couple of ways to get the app drawer back:
1. Head to the static bottom panel on your device, known as the Lower Dock. (This is the one that stays the same no matter which home screen page you’re on.)
2. You will have to move one of the apps on this panel to make space for the app drawer if there isn’t a gap. You can delete one of these apps by holding it down, and confirm delete, or move it to an unused hole on your Home screen.
3. It should turn into a plus sign.
4. If you tap this icon, it should bring up a list of options you can choose from to fill the space.
5. Select the app drawer icon to get it back on your Home screen.
6. If you don’t see a plus sign or the apps align to fit the new space, long-press the Lower Dock and tap default icon. You should be able to find and select the app drawer option from here.
Once you have access to your app drawer, it will be easier to recover any deleted or hidden icons.
Related Questions Other People Ask
Why does app icons disappear?
Missing icons could be due to a faulty Android launcher, accidentally deleted apps, or hidden ones. Whatever the case, you can quickly get it back without a problem as long as you haven’t removed the app yet.
Does restoring an app icon take time?
No, restoring an app icon won’t even take five minutes. The easiest way to do so is to check your app drawer, hold to the app you want to copy, and drop it on your home screen.
Where can I find my missing app icons?
As long as you didn’t disable or delete the app, you can easily find them at your app drawer. Look for the app you need to retrieve, hold it, and place it on your home screen.
To Sum It All Up
Accidentally deleting your app icons can be a pain. Thankfully, there are quite a few decent solutions if you remove any of these on your device, and it’s quick to recover these deleted apps.
With these few tips we mentioned above, you should now be able to restore nearly any app icon to your device, including the app drawer itself. At least it won’t matter if your finger slips again.
If we’ve missed an easy way to restore deleted app icons, or you have questions about one of the steps on this list, let us know by leaving a message on the comments section below!