Google’s digital wallet platform and online payment system technology, Google Pay, can actually be used on supported iPhone and iPad devices. Unfortunately, the functionality is limited to online transactions only for iOS devices. The ability to pay in stores will still be exclusive to Android only.
As of 2019, the app requires iOS 10.0 or later for iPhone or iPad devices. The app is simply not available for devices that run on older versions of iOS.
Google Pay on iOS
With that in mind, it’s best to remember that Google Pay on iOS devices is limited to the following functionality:
- Send or Receive Money with Family and Friends.
- Group Creation.
- Pay in apps and on websites.
- Pay for Google Products.
- Attach Money in Messages.
- Set Reminders for Payments.
- Log of Transactions.
How to Use Google Pay on iPhone & iPad
To use Google Pay (GPay) on supported iPhone and iPad devices, simply follow the steps below:
- The Google Pay iOS app is only available in the U.S.
- Requires iPhones or iPads running on iOS 10.0 and up.
Step 1: Set up the Google Pay app
First and foremost, you need to download and install the app from the Apple AppStore.
Once the app is installed, launch the app and log in your Google account or create an account if you don’t have one yet. You can create one through the app.
Once logged in, follow the instructions to complete setting up.
- For business purchases account, you may be asked to switch to a different payments profile. Simply follow the instructions on-screen to set up an “individual” profile.
- If required, add a payment method. You can add a debit card for quicker transactions.
Step 2: Add Payment Methods
Next step is to add a preferred payment method. You can add more than one method if you ever wish to do so. To add a payment method:
- Open the Google Pay app .
- At the bottom, tap Payment methods and then tap Add Add credit or debit card.
- Enter your debit or credit card info.
- Find your verification code to complete this process.
- You can add a credit card to Google Pay, but you won’t be able to use it to send money.
Payment Methods that won’t Work
Other than that, here are the payment methods that you can’t add to Google Pay:
- Wire transfers
- Bank transfers
- Western Union
- Virtual credit cards (VCC)
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Any escrow type of payment
- Prepaid cards if you use automatic payments
Step 3: Verify Payment Method
Once you’ve added a payment method, Google will require you to verify your choice of payment method. Additionally, the codes will be given to you by your bank.
To verify your payment method, you need to ensure that you’ve completed every step necessary to add a payment method. You can then either wait for your bank or call your bank to request the code.
There are 4 ways to receive your verification code and those are:
- By email or text – your bank will send the verification code within a few minutes either sent to your email or by text.
- By phone – call your bank to get the verification code.
- By bank app – log in to your bank’s app. From there, navigate to your log or list of most recent transactions to verify your payment method.
- By temporary charge – a small fee will be charged to your bank account. You will then find the code listed on your statement of account.
Not Receiving Any Code?
- Make sure your bank has your latest phone number and email address. Try to check if the bank app requires an update. Make sure that the details on your bank account are correct for your verification method.
- Ensure a stable data connection or wi-fi signal and try again.
- If all else fails, call your bank.
Code Not Working?
- Make sure that you entered the code correctly.
- If all else fails, call your bank.
How to change payment method on Google Pay?
To change the payment method on Google Pay, you can either add a new account or edit your existing payment method account by visiting pay.google.com. On the website, look for Payment methods and tap it. Next to your card or bank account, you can either click Edit or Remove.
How to change the default payment method for receiving money?
To change the default payment method for receiving, all you have to do is either add a new one, edit the currently selected method, or remove the current and add a new one.
Can Google Pay work on iPhone?
The Google Pay app can be installed and used with an iPhone device. Unfortunately, you can’t use it to pay in stores. Such a feature is exclusive to Android devices only.
How to use Google Pay in stores?
To pay the items that you wish to buy in stores with Google Pay, simply placed your phone close to the payment terminal. You’ll then be prompted with a blue checkmark on the screen if the payment is successful.
Google Play Gift Codes
Google Play Gift Codes can be purchased on any major electronic stores such as Walmart, Target, your favorite online stores like eBay, Amazon.com, and from Google Play itself. You can purchase credits starting at USD $25. Use the gift card to purchase apps, in-app items, Google products, and more.
If you wish to purchase one, a credit card is not required. Furthermore, the value of the gift card will never expire until used to pay for goods or services. Terms and conditions apply.
Google Pay Limitation for iPhone & iPad
Google Pay is developed to revolutionize wireless payment technology. No matter how you look at it, it is there to bring convenience to us consumers. Unfortunately, the business aspect will always control its applications for the benefit of the company.
Google will not just simply give the technology away to everyone who wants it. They may give a part of it but features that matters the most will be exclusive to Android. It is also one way to gain more people to use Android. And the best example of this is how limited you can use the app with an iOS device. But to be fair with Google, Apple’s Apple Pay is exclusive to iOS devices only and cannot be used or even installed on any Android phones.
Ultimately, if you have an iPhone and you wish to use Google Pay as your main payment method for various transactions, we recommend purchasing an Android smartphone instead. That way, you can fully utilize the features and functionality of the technology.
Have any questions about Google Pay on iPhone? Let us know in the comment section below!