Have you ever experienced a slow Android phone? So slow that it frustrates you?
Situations like can be frustrating, especially if you’re using your phone for important matters such as work-related stuff, calls, or file management.
There are, in fact, a few possible reasons for what might have caused the sluggish performance of your phone.
Slow android phone issues can either be hardware related problems or software. However, as much as we want to look at your Android device and fix it for you, we virtually can’t.
But fret not, as this article aims to guide you and teach you on how to resolve this issue and speed up a slow phone.
Additionally, we also made this easy-to-follow guide to help you directly pinpoint and troubleshoot the root cause of your phone’s sluggish performance without having to need to go get a new phone. As well as help you fix it on your own, saving you time and money from going to a service center.
So, if you are someone who ends up Googling “Why is my phone so slow?” then this article is for you. So without further ado, let’s jump right into how to speed up a slow android phone or android device.
8 Possible Reasons Causing Slow Phone or Android Device Performance
There are 8 possible and commonly known reasons that can cause slow android phone issues. We will tackle all of them here from hardware to software issues. So, if you’re phone suddenly became sluggish, here’s what you need to know and how to fix them and speed up a slow android phone.
A. Slow Android Phone Performance – Hardware Related Causes
Android Phone Hardware Components
The most common issue when it comes to phones running slow is hardware-related. It’s a broad issue that’s usually easy to determine what causes it. Although, hardware related issues can be determined as follows:
- Slow Responsiveness – A noticeable lag in device performance. When you tap on an app or scroll to browse a page, a delay in device response is noticeable. and it’s running slow
- Sluggish Performance – The overall device experience is unpleasantly slow with performance hiccups and lags all around.
- Device UI Lag – A noticeable UI delay between the action of the user and the reaction of the device.
- Low-End Hardware – Phones that are within the budget or entry-level category. These phones possess the slowest hardware performance available on the market.
If you are experiencing any of the above, then it is likely that the reason for your phone suddenly slowing down is hardware related. If so, here are a few things that you can do and ways to speed up your phone.
1. Insufficient Storage (ROM) – Internal Storage
It is an undeniable fact that Android utilizes every storage available within the device.
This includes Internal Storage (ROM), Memory Storage (RAM), and External Storage (SD Card) as well.
Therefore, one of the common culprits when your phone suddenly becomes so slow compared to how it was before is insufficient internal storage or space on your phone.
When your phone is short on internal storage or space on your phone, it will start using its secondary memory (RAM) or external storage (SD Card). If this happens, your phone will then start switching between primary and secondary storages to run various programs and processes which then results in a drastic performance slow down on your phone’s operating times.
How To Free Up Internal Phone Storage Space?
To prevent slow android phone trouble, you can do either of the following:
- Make sure that your phone would at least have 500 MB available space at all times to speed up your phone.
- Use Cleaning Apps to clean your internal storage of unnecessary files.
- Uninstall Apps that you’re not using anymore.
- Transfer and backup pictures, videos, or any form of media to your computer’s HDD or to your cloud services or to your personal home cloud if you have one.
- Clear “App Cache” on the device settings and clear your cache.
- Clear “Cached Data” through your device Storage settings or use your phone’s built-in storage cleaner will clear your cache.
2. Insufficient Memory (RAM)
Phone RAM is probably the least component that would affect your Android phone’s performance. Basically, a smartphone will still function without a RAM and this memory module is only used by Apps.
If the RAM of your phone gets full, the Android operating system of your phone will then eliminate any unnecessary apps running at the background to make space for your most used apps.
Mainly used by both operating system and application software, Android phones that come with bigger RAM capacity can run more complex software and multiple applications at the same time.
The only issue that you will suffer from if your phone’s RAM is low are:
- Random app crash.
- Laggy app performance.
- Phone fully closes an app running at the background when opening another app.
How To Free Up Phone RAM Space?
The fastest way to free up your Android phone’s RAM or resolve slow android phone issue is by restarting your phone to speed up your phone. Other than that, you can do either of the following:
- Close unneeded running apps.
- Kills background running apps.
- Remove any forms of app widget.
- Use third-party apps to free up RAM.
How To Increase RAM on Phone?
If you want to increase the RAM of your phone, the only way to do it is to replace the memory module soldered inside the motherboard of your phone with a higher capacity and identical socket memory module.
Other than that, there are no other means to increase the RAM of your phone.
And yes, you cannot download RAM on the internet using your web browser to increase your phone’s RAM.
3. Dying Phone Batteries
Another hardware issue that can greatly contribute to your phone’s sluggish performance is a dying battery.
If you ever noticed, experienced, or encountered a time where your phone dies all of a sudden for no apparent reason, it is likely that the culprit is your phone’s battery.
Batteries have a certain life span and specific amount where you can charge and discharge it.
Once you’re approaching that limit, your phone’s battery will start to exhibit some unwanted behaviors such as being drained too fast when you use your phone, suddenly becomes bloated, and unable to provide enough power to your phone.
When your phone’s battery is about to die soon, one of the first symptoms that you might experience is your phone suddenly shutting off instantaneously .
This means that the battery cannot store and provide sufficient power to your phone anymore.
Why is My Phone Battery Draining So Fast?
There are 2 possible reasons why your phone battery gets drained so fast when you use your phone.
First is the way you use your phone. Heavily playing games on your phone can drain the battery fast. The second reason is a dying battery which leads to slow android phone issues.
A battery that drains fast from casually using your phone is a dying battery.
How To Fix Phone Battery Draining So Fast?
If your phone has an irremovable battery, the only way for you to get it fixed is either bringing it to a service center or using tools to pry open your phone and replace it manually yourself.
You can then either buy the appropriate battery for your phone either from Amazon or from AliExpress.
4. Entry-Level Phones – Low-End Hardware Components
If you have a brand new phone that you bought for a cheap price, chances are, it also comes with cheap components.
Meaning, the components inside the phone are low-end and doesn’t pack the processing power. Using the phone alone already exhibits a sluggish and laggy experience.
It will become even more prominent and unbearable if you try to play demanding mobile games with this kind of phones.
There’s really nothing much you can do if this is the case. All you can do now is to prevent the phone from getting worse by keeping the above issues in mind.
Speaking of low-end entry-level cheap slow Android phones, Google created an OS called “Android Go” that’s designed to run on low-end smartphones.
Nokia 1 – Android One (Go Edition) – $59.00
Nokia 1 is a cheap Android phone that runs on a secure and up-to-date Android 8. 1 Oreo (Go Edition). It features a 4G LTE support along with Bluetooth 4.2 and a Headphone Jack.
We then highly recommend considering a gaming intended phone for your mobile gaming needs.
B. Slow Android Phone Performance – Software Related Causes
Android Modified OS – Bloatware
Have you experienced a time where your phone became slow after an update? Or a time you rooted your slow Android phone to remove bloatware apps to speed it up but it got worse instead?
When a phone is running slow due to software issues, there are only 4 possible reasons for what causes it. Such issues would fall down to either bad phone software updates, bloatware apps, poor rooting procedure, or outdated OS.
- Phone Update – A firmware or OS update are uncommon causes for a phone to become sluggish. However, Apple and Samsung were fined back in 2018 for slowing down phones with updates.
- Bloatware Apps – Manufacturers and carriers often sell Android phones that come with their own pre-installed apps. These apps, whether they’re useful or not, tends to consume resources. Resulting in overall sluggish device responsiveness.
- Outdated OS – Android phones run on older Android version become slow over time. This is due to the continuous update of various apps which then results in incompatibility issues and a slow down in the device performance.
- Poor Android Phone Rooting – Using an Android Root Software to root your phone and install a custom ROM is a possible fix for the above issues. However, it can also worsen the condition of your phone if not done properly.
If you’ve just recently updated your phone, rooted your phone, or bought a brand new phone then it suddenly is running slow, chances are, the slow down issue is likely software related. If that’s the case, here’s what you can do:
1. Android Phone Update – Firmware Update
If your phone became slow after an update, the manufacturer is to blame for releasing a poorly optimized update. If this is the case, here’s what you can do to possibly fix this issue.
How To Fix Phone Became Slow After An Update?
- Perform a factory reset. Sometimes, things get messed up due to an update. This includes the current apps and configuration that you’ve done with the phone before the update. Factory resetting a phone could potentially fix this slow android phone issue.
- Root your Android phone and remove unnecessary bloatware apps. Usually, you can’t remove pre-installed apps. The only way to remove these apps is by rooting your phone. However, do keep in mind that rooting an Android phone comes with various risk.
2. Bloatware Apps – Uninstall or Disable Pre-Installed Apps
Pre-installed commercial apps that came with the phone tends to hog resources and slow down phones. However, the problem is that you can’t remove these apps.
To deal with this problem, you only have 2 options – either to disable or uninstall.
Basically, uninstalling involves removing the apps from your device. This is the best way to ensure that these apps won’t be a bother.
Disabling, on the other hand, is much more risk-free. Disabling ensures that these apps will not consume RAM space by running in the background.
However, it also means that the apps are still there and are consuming internal storage space.
How To Remove Bloatware Apps?
- If removing the bloatware apps is your choice, the only way to do this is by rooting your slow Android phone. Otherwise, you won’t be able to remove them.
- Once your phone is rooted, you can simply go to your App settings and uninstall them.
How To Disable Bloatware Apps?
- If you won’t risk with rooting, then disabling these apps is your only choice. To do this, simply go to your Apps setting UI. Look for the apps and tap on them. You will then be prompted to the App setting UI and you will find “Disable” there.
3. Outdated Android OS – Older Android Versions (End-Of-Life)
Another possible reason behind the slow down of your Android phone is the end support for your phone’s Android OS.
Android Operating Systems typically has 18 months of support before Google cuts it and release a newer version.
For this reason alone, it will gradually slow down any phone that comes with the older Android OS and has reached End-Of-Life (EOL) support.
The everyday apps that we use are being updated to support the latest Android and because of this, the compatibility for older version becomes an issue.
If this is the case, there are not many fixes for this. Your only option is to root your Android phone and install custom ROMs.
4. Poorly Rooted Android Phone
Rooting an Android phone is definitely one of the fixes for the number 3 issue. However, if you not done properly, it could result in an even worse scenario.
It could render your phone useless or brick it, meaning, permanently making it useless or simply one big paperweight.
So, make sure to read and equip yourself with proper knowledge before attempting to root your phone.
Start Earning From Android Rooting
Start earning from Android rooting with this 15-page e-book that comes with rooting tools and instructions.
You can learn more about Android phone rooting by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I speed up my slow phone?
There are multiple ways for you to speed up your slow phone. Most common methods to speed up your slow phone is by freeing up internal space and uninstalling apps that you rarely use. Other than that, we recommend reading this article as we wrote a complete guide on how to speed up your Android phone in 8 simple steps.
How do you find out what app is slowing down Android?
The easiest way to find out what app is slowing down Android is by checking the swipe menu that shows a list of apps running in the background. To speed up Android, it is highly recommended to either restart your phone or end every app running in the background.
Why is my phone internet so slow all of a sudden?
The speed of cellular data can vary from terms of services, signal strength, and device capability. Many factors can affect the speed of your phone’s internet. Most common ones are being in an area where data cellular network is weak but text and call signals are strong.
Does a factory reset make phone faster?
Theoretically speaking, factory resetting your phone will make it faster since it will delete every processes and background that might be consuming its resources resulting it being sluggish. But don’t expect any miracles from doing so. Most especially if your phone has poor hardware components, to begin with.
What is making my phone slow?
If you notice your phone running slower, there are a few common phone repair issues that may be behind the speed decrease: Not enough storage space on the device, too many open apps or programs, poor battery health, etc.
What are Bloatware Apps?
Manufacturers and carriers often sell Android phones that come with their own pre-installed apps. These apps, whether they’re useful or not, tend to consume resources. Resulting in overall sluggish device responsiveness.
Why is My Phone Battery Draining So Fast?
Your phone battery gets drained so fast when you use your phone because playing games heavily can drain your battery and your phone also may have a dying battery.
Speeding Up a Slow Android Device
Ultimately, there are various reasons as to what causes the sluggish performance of a device.
Determining the root cause is not as easy as it sounds. As much as we want to help you, this is the best thing that we can do for you in knowing ways to speed up your phone.
Informing you with proper knowledge. So that you can learn new things and fix your phone by yourself.
One quick and easy way to verify if the sluggishness of your phone is caused by software is by booting your Android phone to Android Safe Mode.
This simply reboots your phone to its basic state where apps and files from other sources don’t run.
If you’re ever successful fixing your phone after reading this article, do let your friends know about this guide and who knows, you might be able to help them too.
If you have comments, suggestions, or ideas, do hit us in the comment section below!