Some people can find it difficult to keep up with the changing times – especially when it comes to talking about smartphones. And this goes especially for seniors. With so many phones to choose from, it definitely is a difficult task to know which one to buy.
Younger people often immediately jump on the bandwagon when, for example, a new Android device comes out on the market. And, of course, they have no problems in setting up their new phone.
But how about our senior citizens?
I understand it can be a challenge but I would like to assure everyone that when you are focused and willing to learn, then you can learn great things!
But some of you may ask, why do I even have to bother getting a smartphone? Why is it important for a senior to still be in the loop?
Here are some of the reasons why elderly people must still have a smartphone:
- Smartphones often have a larger screen than common phones – Smaller Querty phones can sometimes give a senior citizen more of a headache than it’s worth. The tiny keys are more often than not harder to see even if you have your glasses on. With smartphones, you can adjust the font size and this can be very useful when you are reading a text.
- Easier Communication with your loved ones – With old phones, literally all you can do is send and receive text messages and make calls. With smartphones, you can video call your loved ones and see them as you talk to them. This is especially important for elderly people who are in assisted-living facilities.
- Keep up with your medications – There are a lot of applications you can find in the Google Play Store that will help you manage your medications. As we all know, elderly people tend to be forgetful and these applications will surely be of great help.
Now those are just some of the reasons why seniors might want to consider getting smartphones. But of course, It doesn’t matter if you’re young or old–technology can help with a lot of things for people of all ages.
So, what smartphone should you be getting next? You’ll find below our list for the best 3 Android phones for seniors:
Best smartphones for seniors
|Best smartphone for seniors overall||Unnecto Air Senior Phone|
|Best seniors smartphone in battery life||ZenFone 3 Zoom|
|Best seniors smartphone in performance||Samsung Galaxy S10e|
This phone is one of the best smartphones there is on the market. It has a sleek design and it is perfect for taking pictures. If you are someone who loves to take pictures of your grandchildren as they play and roam around, then this is the one you should be reaching for.
Some of its features are:
- A 12-megapixel camera that can take excellent pictures – It has two lenses that you can choose from as needed. You can use the wide lens for low-light settings and the optical zoom for taking close-up photos.
- Battery Life is 5000 mAh – This means you can use your phone for up to 2 days straight in one charging. This will be ideal when you are going out of town with your loved ones.
- Fast-Charging – Based on research, in 10 minutes your battery will be full and you can use it wherever you want.
Suggested Retail Price: $180.99 (Plan prices may vary)
When you are looking for a simple smartphone that has all the basic features of a regular phone, then this is the way to go. This phone is specifically made for seniors, thus you can be sure all they need has been incorporated in this device.
It comes with a 4.5 – 5.5 inch version and the icons are very easy to see and click.
Some of its features are:
- Large Buttons and Icons– It is inevitable that once we grow old, our eyesight will not be the same. Unnecto made sure all icons are bigger than usual and that you can long-press them to make sure you are clicking on them correctly. Small icons on other smartphones can be hard to use, but with this phone, you’re sure to click on the button you want.
- Family Member SOS – There will be unforeseen circumstances we hope will not happen, but just in case you need immediate help from your loved ones, this phone has a feature wherein you can call a family member that you have pre-designated by just holding down a specific button. Then your call will be quickly made.
Suggested Retails Price: $129.99 (Plan prices may vary)
This is surely one of the best as this comes from Samsung, a trusted brand since they entered the smartphone market in 2009. The phone interface is very easy to use and is one of the most affordable phones for seniors on the market.
Imagine, the screen itself is 5.8 inches, making it easier for you to see the icons and the labels, yet it is still small enough to fit in your purse or in your pocket.
Some of its features are:
- Fingerprint Sensor on the Side – This is especially important as sensors at the side of the device are easier than on-screen sensors. If you are someone who values their privacy, then this is the perfect feature for you. No one can get access to your phone but you.
- 3.5 mm Headphone Jack – When you are into music or if you would like to watch a video in peace, just plug in your headphones and you are good to go. You can also use your headphones when calling or when face-timing with your friends or relatives. And the headphones will give you the privacy you need.
- Snapdragon 855 Processor – A processor makes your phone faster or slower, depending on the kind of processor you have. This phone has Snapdragon 855 processor which means it is extremely fast and can cater to your needs without lags.
Suggested Retail Price:
(Plan prices may vary)
When we get old, sometimes we think that it will be very difficult to go with the current flow.
However, I believe there are a lot of ways that elderly people can still keep up with the times when they have the proper knowledge and the willingness to learn.
These smartphones can work wonders and I stand by my list because I know even seniors want to experience how fun it is to be able to operate their own smartphones.
So what do you think of the list? Do you have other suggestions? Let us know is the comment!